Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rswolff

Siemens

12 posts in this topic

I've used Mitsubishi, Fuji, ABB, Omron, AutomationDirect, GE, Modicon, Siemens, and Allen-Bradley. When someone uses a Siemens I just smile and wonder.....'WHY?' are you an imbecile? bizzare software.....incredibly difficult documentation and tech support that wonders why I haven't moved to Frankfurt, read 10 millions pages of nearly useless reference material, and studied the input module electronics for a minimum of 3 years before I ask a question. Only thing worse was Modicons 'dim awareness'......

Beyond you is it? Stick to lego or something down to your intellect. http://engineering.electrical-equipment.org/electrical-distribution/the-top-most-used-plc-systems-around-the-world.html Edited by Groo

Groo Here is something really funny http://www.guru.com/freelancers/rswolff And he is freelance programmer. :) That's a joke

Actually I am not a freelance programmer......I have no idea where or what the GURU stuff is......I own my own Integration and Automation company....been in business for 14 years.....been doing this for close to 30...... SIEMENS is not 'above' or 'below' me.....its simply problematic to work with.....I've also been to several plants in Germany....and remarkably the German engineers I worked with had similar issues.....bad documentation.....strange instructions....nasty technical support...if I wanted to do things the same as we did 20 years ago (think BCD math and no Floating point numbers) I'd go to EBAY and buy an old Allen-Bradley PLC2.....or buy a SIEMENS S7 since the programming hasn't changed in at least that long. and I don't use LEGO's....or LOGO's.....

This is a forum for people to search for help, your personal problems are your problems. Your comments show total ignorance and I wish the people who run this site could delete such threads. Siemens is the top PLC brand in the world for a reason, I too have worked with Germans on occasions, never found one who critisised or complained like a baby about them. Siemens is a very powerful PLC, so are the Rockwell PLC's, both are very good. There are some poor PLC's out there and neither of these are in that group. I'm wondering if you only write here when your drunk or something,

Groo, please tone it down on the personal attacks. Everyone is entitled to an opinion. His is simply different than yours.

Write a message just to say that the users of Siemens plcs are just idiots is not what I call "express an opinion" and I understand the reaction of Groo, but seriously there's nothing to answer to such an "opinion", it's like talking with a wall as we say here... JC

I agree the OP had no reason for his post other than to vent. The idea of the forums is to support people with answers to their questions, and there certainly was no question in that original post. That being said, I hope the comments about Legos and drunk typing were meant as a joke. I simply posted because humor and sarcasm are not easy to read on a forum, and others will interpret them differently. I certainly don't want anyone to stop posting, as long as their post is in the spirit of the forums. Everyone has their opinions, and that is as it needs to be. But we try to deal in facts and helpful information here as much as possible. The fact of the matter is in different parts of the world different brands are the primary. In Europe, obviously Siemens is most widely used and supported. Here in the US they have a very small market share, and far fewer people know how to support them. I've heard many Europeans complain in the same way about Rockwell, because it's not the native product and people are not familiar with it. But here in the states they have over half the market. Most of my experience is in Mitsubishi and Omron, but I have also programmed Idec, Siemens (S7-200 only), Allen Bradley, Modicon, Telemecanique, and others. A few of those I felt were complete crap, and yes much of that has to do with them being different than my main product of expertise. But I also did not put up a post trashing any of them.

Crossbow When you say "very small market share". Can you post some facts? Where are you getting that info?

Last numbers i saw were years ago, around 2009, and they were around 10%. I'm not going to buy an updated report.

This link is from 2013 and has some figures and external links http://automationprimer.com/2013/10/06/plc-manufacturer-rankings/

that link simply indicates which company is larger overall.......when was the last time (in the USA) that you encountered an ABB plc? Yet, they are 2nd in the list.......lots of companies sell a lot of equipment that AB doesn't.....there are no Rockwell robots but lots of ABB units..........years ago I had a client that guaranteed me that the only plc that would work for his project was a TI !!! Supposedly he had tried everything else and only a TI worked (application was simply controlling a VFD). So we used a TI (frightening!!!).......when deciding what devices or equipment to use or specify, function and cost (h/w and development) are my deciding factors. When I have used Siemens in the past I was also struck by not only the high h/w cost, but how unfriendly the documentation and s/w was when compared to competitive products. This directly goes to how I would price projects. I can develope about twice as fast on a Rockwell platform as opposed to a Siemens. And I've been to Germany and watched 'Siemens' programmers and they're no faster.