Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nehpets

FX3GE

10 posts in this topic

Could some kind soul put me out of my misery, the documentation for this processor is not the clearest. I'm trying to find out how many analogue units I can connect to the left side of the unit, the documentation says 1 analogue unit + one communication unit, does this mean I can use 2 analogue units if no comms unit is used - the hardware manual seems to suggest I can use two. I realise I can use analogue units to the right (FX2N - 4AD) but my client has a FX3U analogue unit already. Steve

The FX3GE is a CPU I'm currently working with. I agree on the instructions not being the best. From what I can tell, the CPU comes with 2 AI built in, I seem to remember reading that this CPU will only accept 4 AI inputs. Don't hold me to that, I've been thrown very much in the deep end this week with Mitsubishi. I'm sure some of the more knowledgeable members on here will correct me.

Yes

Thanks for that, I can sleep easy tonight. Steve

Inntele, I'm not sure this is correct, unless I'm missing something. The manual for the FX3GE which has the on board Analogue states that the on board analogue occupies special device position 1, the device numbers seem to back this up ie M8280 & 1 switches the two analogue inputs to current mode, M8282 switches the analogue output to current mode etc. So It would appear that only one FX3U-4AD-ARP can be fitted with the registers at M8290 onward. If I have got this wrong then I apologise, if possible can you post a link to any relevent documentation, I'm having trouble finding anything of worth. Steve

The FX3 left-side bus is designed to accept up to two analog modules. HOWEVER, the FX3GE is a bit of a Frankenstein, in that the designers pilfered from the left-side bus to add the built in analog I/O and Ethernet port. So, the built-in analog takes the place of one of the analog modules, so you can only add one additional module. Also be aware that the addressing for the addition module will be as if it's the second module, not the first. Edit: Just saw your most recent post, and yes you are correct. Edited by JRoss

dang!, I was hoping I was wrong. Thanks Steve Thats weird I didn't type dang! Edited by nehpets

Sorry nehpets, I did a mistake... As JRoss has said already, in contrast to FX3G, the FX3GE supports left-hand extension with only 1 analog board (2nd analog group = starting from D8270) and 1 analog module (4th analog group= starting from D8290). The built-in analog is 3rd analog group, starting from D8280. Thus at maximum you can collect 8 analog inputs + 1 analog output on left side: 2ch built-in analog input + 1ch buit-in analog output + 2ch analog input board (FX3G-2AD-BD) or 1ch analog output board (FX3G-1DA-BD) + 4ch analog input module (FX3U-4AD-ADP) or 4ch analog output module (FX3U-4DA-ADP) or 2ch analog input and 1ch analog output (FX3U-3A-ADP). Edited by Inntele
1 person likes this

I think I'll stick with a FX2N-4AD unit, thanks anyways. Steve

The FX2N-8AD is a good option if you have a lot of IO, or different types of inputs.