Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Daffi

Running out of memory on the Q03UDE

6 posts in this topic

Hi All, Having a bit of a problem with memory being taken up in the Q03UDE when I do a download from Gx Works 2 with only a few lines of code. See Attachment Pic1. I'm using the QD77 library function blocks. Most of the memory allocation seems to come from "Symbolic Information". As i'm newish to Gx Works 2 i'm thinking there is a parameter i'm missing? Im mean the entire memory is taken from a few lines of code. I have inserted a compact flash into the CPU but the pin configuration seems to be different in the CPU as in the pins seem to be offset and a normal compact flash does not seem to fit. Is there a specific type of flash card that is used in the Q03UDE Cpu's does anyone know. See pic2 attachment. This is holding me back as I can't add anymore function blocks!

You shouldn't check for "Symbolic Information". This is not normally done. Symbolic Information means that the graphical structured ladder is downloaded to the PLC. This is not normally done since the program is saved on a computer/server or similar, and not in the PLC itself. However, the advantage with downloading Symbolic Information is that if you ever need to upload the project at a later time from the PLC, you can upload the graphical view of the ladder, and not just the "simple ladder" view. Most often people do not use Symbolic Information since they store the program (GW2) on a computer. Regarding the CF card it should be a normal CompactFlash socket, I have never tried a retail CF card, but I think it should work. Though, I would recommend to buy an industrial CF card recommended by Mitsubishi to avoid any problems with Mitsubishi if any should occur...
1 person likes this

Thanks for that clarification Kaare. Appreciate it. Mitsubishi recommend flash cards q2mem-2mbf or 4mbf which, in fact, are made by Mitsubishi.

NO! Mitsubishi does NOT use a CF card. It's proprietary! If you force a CF in, you will damage the CPU. And as for not downloading the symbolic information, that's a horrible idea. If ever someone needs to upload from the PLC, then they can't. The upload reads the symbolic information. So if you ever lose the project on the PC, you are dead. It's not just a 'graphical view' of the ladder, it's IEC compliant ladder of structured text. The upload would only be in the Mitsubishi ladder language without symbolic information. So you cannot view the program as it was originally written without the symbolic information. Basically it's your source code. There is a built in backup drive in the Q, and you can download the symbolic information there if the standard memory gets nearly full. Something is insanely wrong for symbolic information to be that large. It is typically only the size of the program or slightly larger.
1 person likes this

Any idea how to solve problem with too large Symbolic information ? My plc program consumes like 10 % of total memory (w/o symb.info.) with it only 0.11% of memory is left.

Skidbladnir.

Just a thought- might be worth formatting your standard memory then reloading your program. I've had memory problems before where I've overwritten 'parts' of code during different projects instead of starting fresh.