Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
theripley

SDK

10 posts in this topic

Hi. A new client have a requirement for an automated system, which involves plc programming & computer programming (for automatic inventory system). They wanted us to do the plc programming (easy for us), and they hired a separate team for the computer programming. The computer programming team requires us to do an sdk so they can link our program to their inventory system. I have never tried it before, but I am sure someone in here knows a lot about it. Please enlighten me about this sdk-making-scenario. Thank you.

SDK is a software development kit, and it's a library of ready-made functions for a computer programming language (VB.net, C++, etc.) to interface with a specific piece of software or hardware. There is a Mitsubishi protocol manual that you can use to build your own library, but that would take a lot of engineering time. What you are need for is MX Components from Mitsubishi.

This MX components is the library for the sdk this client is requiring? I just have to buy it & give it to the computer programming team. Is that all?

Correct regarding the MX Components. That's easier and most likely cheaper than spending a lot of hours on creating or implementing a software developed protocol. As an alternative, you could use a ModbusTCP card in the PLC, and specify that to the computer developers. There's a lot of ModbusTCP computer implementations on the internet, and a ModbusTCP card is pretty easliy configured on the PLC side.

kaare_t, He did not say which Mitsubishi PLC. They don't have ModbusTCP for all of them. And in the case of the Q Series, that card is far more expensive than MX Component.

I have read that MX components supports vba, visual basic & c++. Does it support .net applications as well?

Have anyone heard of AdvancedHMI? Have you used it to interface with Mitsubishi PLC?

Yes MX Components supports VB.net. Yes, I have heard of AdvancedHMI. I haven't used it, but they do not have a Mitsubishi communications driver. You could use it with a Mitsubishi processor, but only with a protocol conversion gateway of some sort, which would be cumbersome.

Thanks JRoss. Btw, how long have you been using Mitsubishi PLC? Is it your personal preference?

I've been programming Mitsubishi PLCs for over 11 years. In general I find preference has more to do with familiarity than anything. That said, I like the Allen-Bradley RSLogix5000 programming environment to be about the easiest to use of the various packages I have any kind of experience with. But Mitsubishi is a solid choice. They are competitively priced, reliable, and the programming package does it's job with a minimum of headaches.