kaiser_will

HMI view/control on smart phone or tablet

23 posts in this topic

This subject has been a goal for many for some time. I have not pulled it off yet, but I think the time is near to make it happen. Has anyone had success with putting their HMI view or control on a smart phone or tablet? If so, what software has worked for you?

VNC Viewer (if possible on your HMI)? Easiest and cheapest solution, but in my opinion not the smoothest one. SCADA and/or OPC with webserver made for phones/tablets makes the views a lot nicer (like browsing a mobile-friendly webpage), but costs a lot more...

I only know that VNC Viewer or Web-Server can do this. The HMI should have those feature built-in though... Right now I only know that Omron and Siemens released those feature for android. Haven't tried it though. But the apps are free on play store. iOS Version also available. Don't know yet, did other brands released same feature or not

Omron NA screens have VNC server built in. Omron NB and NS screens have web capability built in. In any case, you have to go in software and enable it. Omron also offers and app for both iOS and Android which can talk to all 3 models of screen. Otherwise, a simple VNC viewer and web browser should work fine, they do on my Samsung Tab S.

I have two customers using both Iphone and Android phones with the Maple Systems (Weintek) HMI's.

Most SCADA systems have a WEB server but this is usually not so fast or have restrictions A RDP connection is used more often. but you will need the PC to be a windows server with some CAL licenses or you can only use one client If you're looking for SCADA solution you should check http://www.adroit.co.za/. they have their web client on the site somewhere you can test. It has a great interface and you can design your screen in any resolution you need. As for HMI Mitsubishi HMI have a VNC server on board. But they also have a communication driver to their plc's for Android and iOS so you can built your own HMI APP Edited by Gambit

AdvancedhMI runs directly on a Windows 8 or Windows 10 tablet. You can pick up an 8" Window tablet for less than $100, such as a ProntoTec MobiTab for $80 from Amazon. You simply create an AdvancedHMI application, then copy it to a MicroSD card and run it on the tablet.

Teamviewer has a mobile app. It is not the most user friendly for operating HMI controls, and would require that you are able to get to the HMI PC via the internet or wifi network. It is super easy to set up and works great for just looking at values and examining alarms. If you designed a screen with the right sized and controls to fit in your palm, you could make it very functional. Of course you'd be limited to PC based HMI apps. I have not tried this with Red Lion HMI on a phone browser yet, but I don't know why it wouldn't work so long as the HMI is exposed to the web. Of course that last sentence opens up the worm-can of security concerns.

We tried to run ClearView on a tablet. It works great, but the tablet should be powerfull enough.

Best solution is to use native drivers for Android & iOS for various PLCs. They have examples for building simple HMI front-ends. No other 3rd party servers or other layers of software needed. Very light & powerful. We have used them multiple times to build agile apps. I can send you some samples on request.

sonam.b@parijat.com

There are several ways to do this depending on what SCADA software and hardware you're using.

1. If you're using a Windows Terminal Server, you could use a native RDP application for your mobile device.
  2. If you're using just a Windows workstation, you could use VNC, RDP, LogMeIn, TeamViewer, etc to access the workstation remotely over the network on your mobile device.
  3. Several of the SCADA software packages offer web-based views of the HMI with various levels of control between the packages. Computer hardware requirements vary as well.
  4. If you don't have an existing SCADA software installation, you could potentially run an HMI server on your mobile device as long as it's compatible with the PLC/controller hardware you're using.

What software and hardware are you currently using?

Regards,
Eric

Hi,

can´t comment what is written above but I can give you my experience. Few days ago, someone recommended me mymobile App from myscada. I must say, it is very intuitive mobile App for Android and also iOS. The visualization looks very proffesional and their technical support will help u if neccesary. But what I like the most is a free 5 tag version so you can try it and decide - that´s what i have done...

Good luck ;)

1 person likes this

Indusoft has some nice options. Also check out Weintek's CMT-SVR/Easy Access 2.0 it is very nice, cost effective and deploys easily. With the Easy Access 2.0 it takes care of you security for remote access over the WAN. Then you hopefully don't need to hassle IT which is nice.

Hello All,

I am new to the Mr.PLC forum and thought I would add in another option to the mix.   EZAutomation's EZTouch HMI has built-in remote monitoring and control features with remote data logging capture as well.    You can monitor your HMI using either a iOS or Android device.  The app for your smart phone/tablet is only $5.  There is also a data logging feature where you can remotely transfer data stored locally on the HMI (via USB or microSD card) to a local server using the free remote file manager utility provided by EZAutomation.  A link to the Remote Access capabilities is: http://www.ezautomation.net/apps/index.htm

Hi,

I must agree with Simon Bennet. myscada app looks good. They also win an award for the best scada app this year so I would go for them. It is not expensive either - 69 euro for 100 tags for full-featured scada.

On 5/20/2016 at 3:58 PM, Smart_boy said:

I'm  using IntegraXor to develop my project. The HMI graphic and zooming work nice on my tablet and smartphone. Maybe you can try access their online demo to have a look. http://www.integraxor.com/blog/scada-demo/

Thanks for mentioning this. I agree with you. I came across IntegraXor in recent years and I have to say I like their HMI because the interface is responsive. I can also use my smartphone to open the HMI via my phone's web browsers, the HMI will auto fit into the browser's size and I can also swipe to zoom in or drag around freely. 

On 9/3/2015 at 10:07 AM, kaiser_will said:

This subject has been a goal for many for some time. I have not pulled it off yet, but I think the time is near to make it happen. Has anyone had success with putting their HMI view or control on a smart phone or tablet? If so, what software has worked for you?

Might look at the Unitronics Visilogics, as a PLC and HMI combined units. It has a native phone/tablet app. 

We have a tablet running InTouch WindowViewer; the clients are identical in content but were created for a different aspect resolution. We also do this with screens with lower resolutions than monitors. For example, we have an 800 x 600 build that runs on Thin Clients.

With tablet..I used

With Siemens Winccflexible with Miniweb ...

With Siemens Wincc 7.4 I used Web UX 

With Womderware Indusoft web i used Web thin ..mobile access

I think with any  Scada software we should test on LAN ..then with access through inter net need static IP or host ( dyns..or No -IP) then config them in IIS window...

Now a day so many HMI have such facilities