Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PortenoSuenos

ML1400 to a Logix

13 posts in this topic

Hi, I have been using MicroLogix 1400s for some time and was considering moving up to the Logix series of controllers. Whats the best Logix series that would replace the ML1400..?? Thanks,

The quick easy answer is the Compactlogix series. I like the 1769-L23... But what capabilities are you looking to gain by "moving up"?

The local AB Sales guy has people concerned here that I am not using the "Latest and Greatest". A lot of people make an issue out of me not using the "Latest and Greatest"..!! I personally like RSLogix500 and the ML1400 does everything that I need...BUT..people make a big deal out of me using it. I know it may not be the latex and greatest, but it WORKS and I understand them VERY well. I have looked at RSLogix5000 and Im not for sure I like it. Any way...just curious. Thanks

well, move will mean increased cost... (new software, different hardware)

Don't fold to pressure just because it is the latest and greatest. That's not to say that it isn't the right move for you, but a sales person being concerned because you re not using the "latest and greatest" isn't enough justification. In fact it would make me very concerned about your sales person having your best interest in mind. There are cost associated with changing that need to be considered such as spare parts, new software, training, etc. I use both RsLogix 500 products ad RsLogix 5000 products. I wouldn't say that I'm building a dated control system when I use a Micrologix 1400, it just fits the spec. The big one that comes to mind that sways me towards Controllogix/Compactlogix is the need for Motion or distributed I/O. What type of applications are you making?

Lots of different applications...including motion using 0-10vdc to servo controllers. Im able to do anything I want with all the available expansion modules for the 1400. Once in awhile I am limited by the amount of I/O but I just use a 1500 then.

If you must upgrade, I'd go with the 1769-L16ER-BB1B. That's the base model, 16 digital in/16 digital out, uses (cheap) point I/O expansions, onboard ethernet etc. It IS limited in expansion, so depending on the application it may not be suitable, but it's a good starting point. And then look at the rest of the range as and when you need more I/O or other capability. I don't know what prices are like in Argentina, but here the price difference from ML1400 to 1769-L16 is about $970 vs $1050, so not a big deal. Of course, the software is a big upfront expense, and you have to learn how to use it, but once you do learn it, it can be very very efficient - to the point of paying back the cost of the software in productivity gains. But. As everyone else has said, it all depends on your application. A salesman will sell you his grandmother if it gets him a big enough commission, take all his information and then send him away and look at your needs objectively. There are definitely advantages to the new platform, and I'll admit to spruiking it for all it's worth myself. I far prefer to use RSLogix5000 than 500. But "it's the latest and greatest" is a ridiculous argument. Windows Vista was the latest and greatest once. Edited by ASForrest

Well, unfortunately...sometimes the people that make these decisions are not always the ones who should be making the decisions, and they are not the ones who have to make it happen. :) How many expansion cards will work with the 1769-L16ER-BB1B..?? What type of expansion modules does it use..??. Whats the advantage of RSLogix5000 over RSLogix500..?? Thanks and sorry for all the questions. Edited by PortenoSuenos

Keep in mind that the Micro series are similar to the SLC series in that they are Data Table-driven PLCs. Logix PLCs are tag-based and make your programming life way easier. But they are a new breed compared to the Data Table-driven PLCs. For considering converting, read up on the Logix Selection Guides. The CompactLogix platform is cheaper than the ControlLogix platform. They look to be very similar and the programming features are pretty similar. Horsepower wise they are different. To size up a replacement/upgrade, research quantity and type of I/O, HMI communication port needed, programming features needed, etc. http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/sg/1769-sg001_-en-p.pdf Do not cave to sales pressure. Sure it is cool to upgrade your PLC, but the existing systems work. In upgrading, you often run into an issue changing from a slower data table-based system to a much faster tag-based system.

1. The L16ER van take 6 expansion modules, and the L18ER/ERM can take 8. But remember that these are point I/O modules, so the maximum I/O per card is 8, not 32. 2. 1734 series point I/O. 3. There are heaps of advantages - it's almost like comparing apples and oranges. Have a read up on user-defined data types, add-on instructions, produced/consumed tags to name a few. Also, the rung structure us more flexible - you can put output instructions in series, put oneshots in places you couldn't on RSL500, etc. There are plenty of situations where this can greately simplify the appearance of a rung of code. Another huge advantage for me is that you've usually got half a chance of being able to follow the code without having the offline file, and hence the comments. With RSLogix 500, if you have no comments, you have a near unintelligible rung full of "B3:0/1" and "N21:100/4", whereas with the tag-based addressing of RSLogix 5000, you have "Motor_1_Overload" and "Motor_1_HMI_Start_PB" and "Emergency_Stop_OK". And of course, with the newest versions of control logix, the comments are now being stored in the PLC :)

Just my personal opinion, but I really dislike programming on anything that uses RSLogix 5/500. There's a lot of powerful tools you have in the 5000 platforms. Task scheduling, Add on Instructions, User Data Types and Aliases are just a few. I love being able to create very structured and organized programs in a way that just isn't possible in the older platforms. That being said, I know a lot of more, ahem, "traditional" people at the facilities where I work who just love PLC 5 (we have a mix of old PLC 5 stuff and newer CLX stuff). Personally, I think that's madness. Like ASForrest said, it's like comparing apples to oranges. Edited by MrAutomation

if you're doing basic operation with your PLC, you won't gain much by abandoning to the Micrologix family. switching to the Logix family, means : new software, new training, new programming approach... There are definite gains, but are you going to benefits from those ?

After programming in RSL5000 for so many years, I've recently had to go back to some small projects using RSL500 with the ML1400. The ML1400 is a strong little worker, especailly with the data logging feature, and 3 comm ports, but I think I'll be "forcing" the customer to use that 1769-L16ER-BB1B next time. Tag based programming with UDTs and AOIs is just to nice compared to that old file based stuff.