Chris Elston

Looking for a FREE Software Tool to switch your IP Address

12 posts in this topic

I am sure there is a software tool out there that you can quickly switch your IP address. Most of us switch between a static IP for PLC programming then back to dynamic when we connect to the work network. Which software app do you guys use? Curious...

No software, I bought a USB to Ethernet adapter. I had one from Ultra that worked well, but have upgraded to one I found on Amazon which is 1GB and USB 3.0, also has 3 USB 3.0 ports built in, so a hub and Ethernet. Here's a similar unit. http://www.amazon.com/Anker-Unibody-Aluminum-Gigabit-Ethernet/dp/B00PC07T02/ref=pd_sim_147_5?ie=UTF8&refRID=1J8CCTZKWZKN9RS39RW6

I use net set manager http://www.netsetman.com/en/freeware Lets you set multiple profiles and changing is a simple "click"

Before I switched to a USB to Ethernet adapter, I too used NetSetMan free version. It worked fine except for on Virtual machines, that was quite a while back so it may have changed.

I prefer USB to Ethernet adapter too. Another issue is IT managing all computers and locking things down . Even to change IP address one must enter user name and password. To prevent frequently typing passwords I tend to assign bunch of IP addresses to current network card.

I never thought about using a hardware solution. Great idea guys!

I use a USB Ethernet adapter but still have to switch between manual and auto configuration, depending on where I'm connected to the network and how IT happened to configure that particular port (and the port the machine is plugged into...we have a mess). I have a simple batch file called "LAN-Auto" and another called "Manual" that do the configuration change. The auto one: netsh interface ip set address name="Local Area Connection" source=dhcpnetsh interface ip set dns name="Local Area Connection" source=dhcpnetsh interface ip set wins name="Local Area Connection" source=dhcp@pauseThe manual one: netsh interface ip set address name="Local Area Connection" source = static addr = 10.130.249.252 mask = 255.255.255.0netsh interface ip set address name="Local Area Connection" gateway=10.130.249.1 gwmetric=0@pause

Here's a tool I wrote in batch file using the netsh instructions above. I wrote it to scan your computer and find all the available network adapters. It works on Windows XP, Windows 7, Windows 8.1. It should work on Windows 10 as well. I've tried the software tools, but I never found anything as quick, simple or effective as the batch file I wrote. (Maybe I'm just biased because I wrote it ) Give it a try! There's a readme with a few instructions. UPDATE (8/25): I revised the file a bit. For my personal use, I found that a subnet mask of 255.0.0.0 always worked for my needs, so it would always use that automatically. However that's not the case for everyone, so now it asks the user for a subnet mask. IP ADDRESS.zip Edited by MrAutomation

In terms of software solution: +1 for netsetman... try it and you will know.. select a preset profile from the systray and away you go, you can also include fmore than just IP.

I've updated my "manual" batch file to add several IP addresses to the USB adapter covering 3 addressing schemes that we now have active. Our mess is totally out of control and I'm powerless to sort it out, so I'm stuck with this.... netsh interface ip set address name="LAN_USB" source = static addr = 10.130.249.237 mask = 255.255.255.0 gateway=10.130.249.1 gwmetric=0netsh interface ip add address name="LAN_USB" addr = 10.130.32.82 mask = 255.255.254.0 gateway=10.130.32.1 gwmetric=0netsh interface ip add address name="LAN_USB" addr = 192.168.0.237 mask = 255.255.255.0@pause

Just as a FOLLOW-UP every engineer at Yamaha now has one of these. Thank you. Works GREAT. I love the fact, we can plug them in, get a second IP address and so long as you plug it into the same USB PORT, the configuration is remembered, I.E. last setting was fixed IP and what the IP address was. Nice hardware solution. Thank you.

Mine keeps its IP address no matter which USB port it put it in. Glad it works for you. I've got about a dozen customers and bunch of field support guys using the USB option.