Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Elendril

Rockwell Licenses and Windows 7 XP Mode

5 posts in this topic

There probably is a topic for this already but failed to find one with the search criteria I was using. I am wondering if anyone out there has accomplished getting the older Rockwell Software licenses (EVRSI.sys) to work under Windows 7 XP Mode. So far I have been able to get the licenses to work temporarily by using the FactoryTalk Automation Tool and setting the licenses search criteria to a mapped network drive that is actually a TSClient drive. This works sometimes because the mapping get refreshed by the Virtual PC or the drive needs to be accessed at least once before running any Rockwell Software. I am running the following: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit w/6GB RAM Windows XP Mode configured with 2GB virtual RAM 1 virtual mapped network drive to the physical drive containing the licenses. The mapped drive goes through the terminal services client and hence seems to be the problem. I would like to move the licenses from the virtual mapped drive to the C Drive of the virtual machine and make it look like a normal PC. Any questions, ideas, comments are greatly appreciated. I am not concerned about physically connecting to any PLCs right now. This is for development with FactoryTalk View SE (Stand-Alone) and ME, plus running the Emulate software. Thanks

How about using UBCD4WIN 32 bit live windows xp cd, to temporarily boot your computer into windows xp 32 bit. Then use EVMOVE to move the activation to the harddrive(you will prob have to use the flash version of evmove). Then reboot into windows 7 and the activation will still be present and your rslogix should work. I did this successfully myself and got Rslogix working with Windows 7 64 bit (no XP mode). Since its a live cd, its not installing XP or even touching your Windows 7 installation. http://www.ubcd4win.com/
1 person likes this

I don't think what you are experiencing is a Windows 7/XP problem per se. Windows has a very nasty habit of caching a "map" of network drives/dirve letters but it doesn't actually mount the drive until only CERTAIN commands try to access it. For example, if you drop to a command line (Start->Run, "cmd'), and then do a "dir letter:", it will give you a "not accessible" type error. You can visualize this by typing in "net use" which shows you the drive mapping. Then if you run explorer on the drive to get it initialized (right-click start, "Explore", navigate to drive), it works. Then rechecking the "net use" diagnostics shows the drive clearly initialized, and "dir letter:" works as well. I've found that "permanent" drive mappings work, but the sort of temporary ones like you are getting from your thin client tend to fail, more or less depending on the software drivers. There are similar problems at the software level as well. Best solution I've found is to create a "share" on some machine somewhere and map it with a "permanent" drive connection. Then everything works as expected without any surprises like you are getting. By the way, you can upgrade your older licenses. You can request FTA licenses directly on Rockwell's web site and it works fine. You also didn't have to install the FTA stuff at all. The software will recognize EVRSI licenses (until Rockwell goes to CPR 10) just fine. It simply flashes up a nagware screen ONCE the first time you run the software, then goes away.

I am running ALL rockwell software in XP mode without any problems. I have all the licences installed on the virtual machine, so I can backup the virtual image, and copy to another computer if required. The way to do this is to use EVMoveCF.EXE which allows you to move licence files on and off USB, so you do not need the master floppy disks anymore. So you get the licence onto a USB, then connect the USB into your XP virtual machine, then copy the licence onto the virtual machine. Then backup the virtual image to be safe. Easy.

I have an older laptop with Windows XP SP3 on it. All AB software works great. The screen is dying unfortunately. The company bought a laptop with windows7 home premium. EVMOVECF doesnt activate any products on the new laptop. Is that because I can't run in "xp mode" when transfering keys. I have no internet either, and its a one shot deal. Once the new laptop is running the old one is tossed out. We can transfer the keys back and all the products are activated again on the old XP laptop. The RA knowledge base isn't helping much other than saying buy a Dongle.Factory Talk Activation Manager is not installed on the new laptop Edited by raveon