Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Chris Elston

Yamaha Robots

3 posts in this topic

Just curious if anyone in MrPLC land uses Yamaha robots or actuators. What do you think of them?

Used SRCD rotary arm and ERCD Linear arm. If you are using a PLC, then you are communicting ASCII/serial. Rotary requires 230VAC, but linear can be 24VDC. These use resolvers, so power loss requires homing. EM noise can cause communication/resolver faults, which require power cycle fault clearing. configuration can be done using proprietary software, which is inexpensive (or thrown in for free, depending on vendor), or you can spend a little extra time using hyperterminal. Preprogramming can be performed, with Input triggers driving the program, or you can go all serial command. Yamaha is definitely premium priced, probably because the focus is on an integrated multiaxis robot, not just on "arms", which is what i did. You can go PC based control with the PCRX, where you control the robot/arms through an API for Object Orientated Programming. For my applications, which are generally "table-top" based, this was a little too extravagant. The number one issue is that everthing has to come from Japan (cables included), so a Tsunami or the month-long cherry-blossum festival, or whatever it is, will ruin you day if you need something fast. Edited by pseudoquas

Have programmed the OMRON robots. (Rebranded Yamaha, was labled Yamaha and used yahama programming software as very early) Once you understood the language it was not to difficult to program. Mine was controlled via devicenet instructions. Thou serial would not be difficult depending on the PLC chosen or PC application.