Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rebuke

Label printing with Omron

10 posts in this topic

One of my projects at my plant is to enable our equipment with simple barcode printers. I'm printing off labels successfully with AB 503's, now I have to get the Omron based stations to do the same thing. In AB, I write strings of text and N7 files via Ascii Write to the zebra printer through the serial port. Does anyone forsee any difficulties doing the same with CX on a CJ1M platform? I need the final result to be a 2D barcode. I'm also condsidering specking out Omron's new beauty NS/CJIM ehternet combo screen for future projects, but I need the PLC capable of printing barcodes. Everyone should ask their Rep about this new screen; the pricing and the potential (Devicenet) is fantastic.

The traditional method is to use the CPU RS232 port and the TXD and RXD commands to send ASCII strings which are typically stored in DM registers. This only applies to the CPU RS232 port. If you need to do the same thing with a CJ1W-SCU41 comm module, you will need CX protocol to create the Barcode strings. There are several examples of TXD-RXD in the Omron download section at MrPLC.com. There have also been many posts regarding this application over the last couple of years. Search by "Barcode". Regarding the NS, Barcode Scanners(input) are possible with either comm port. Barcode Printing(Output) is not yet available on the NS comm ports. News Flash: Preliminary information from Japan indicates that Version 3 CS/CJ CPUs will now be able to use TXD-RXD style commands through SCU/SCB comm ports using new ladder instruction TXDU-RXDU.

Using some preliminary info and some intuitive guessing, I see no reason why the PLC port on the NSJ5 would not support TXD-RXD. Therefore, you should be able to generate ASCII strings for the barcode printer. The note about the PLC port in the below graphic was added by yours truly. Other documents imply that it should be treated as a CJ1M-CPU13 CPU RS232 port.

Jay, thanks for your as always solid input. Your help is appreciated. I'll peruse the archives, and I'll update the forum as to my success. -Steve

Hi Rebuke! I will give you a Zebra tip. Zebra printers use their own printing language, ZPL. It is not very easy to design a label in ZPL, so I offer you to design your label in following steps: 1 - Add your Zebra printer to your COMx port. 2 - Design your label in Zebra's free "BAR ONE Lite" Label design program. You can also use bitmaps for logo etc. 3 - Prepare a null modem cable and start to listen your COMx port. (Hyper Terminal is suitable) 4 - Print the label you designed through your COMx port. Here it is! Your label design in ZPL is ready. ZPL is in full ASCII. You can find the variables in ZPL code of your label design, and by changing the variables, the barcode values should be changed. Now you can write your ZPL data in to data memories.

Thanks for the advice Moosty. A question I have though is when the variables need to be changed is it possible just through ZPL or can the PLC change the data as well?

Hey rebuke, i thought that this question looked familar..... i would go with Jay on this one as i have done a similar application in the past...not graphics though... i would use the CJ1 PLC with a serial card CJ1W-SCU21 and CX-Protocol. and yes you can embed variable data generally in the protocol to be sent to the printer...

Hi Rebuke, If you capture the ZPL data from your COM port, you will see plenty of strings like this: ^XZ ^XA ^MCY ^XZ ^XA ^DFR:TEMP_FMT.ZPL ^LRN ^FO70,424^GFA,00620,00620,00124, 7lGF80, rJF, : ....... You may refer to ZPL II guide, you can find it in the CD with your Zebra printer. Data "9999" between ^FD and ^FS will be printed as barcode. You can change this value for your barcode output: ^BY5^FO141,1144^BCN,166,N,N,Y^FD>9999^FS I have done it before with a VB program, and tested the result by OMRON barcode readers, SICK readers, and two kind of Symbol readers. It works. Another solution: As I know, it is also possible to design a label, define variables and upload this label to Zebra. Also, it may be possible to write this label esign in to Zebra printers EPROM permanently due to power interruptions. And by referencing the label, it is possible to send only parameters to Zebra. I think that will be the most effective solution, because you don't need to occupy plenty of DM, and send kilobytes of data from serial port. But I have not read the complete ZPL guide, I don't know how to do it. I know only it is possible. I want to help you more, and search the ZPL manual for details, however I am going to be married this weekend. Bye

Married this weekend...... Well let me say on behalf of all of the MR.PLC team and community... Congratulations and all the best for the future for you and the soon to be Mrs Mootsy........ Thanks for all of your contributions.....

Many thanks friends!