Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SPRAKS

Stepper motor drive problems

4 posts in this topic

We are currently using a SureStep STP-DRV-4850 stepper drive from Automation Direct with their bipolar STPMTR23079D Stepper motor rated at 1.1 ohm, 2.8 amp per phase and 1.8 degree per step. The setup is a 24 volt rotary encoder 600 PPR AB quad that is turned 1 revolution per 6” of measured travel of the machine. We have a large “clock” dial that shows 24” of travel that the stepper motor directly turns. It has been programmed for 9600 pulse per revolution AB quadrature following and seems to follow the movement quite well. The issue that we having is several times a day the power is shut off to the machine and the stepper upon startup moves to the closest full step which looks to be about 3/8”. We need to save its location or at least keep the dial close to its current mircostep if possible. Do I have something set-up wrong? Should I be using a different drive? Thanks in advance!

Hello Sparks. I think I know what your configuration is but just to be sure, what is driving the command position of the stepper drive? Are you using step and direction pulses to drive it from a PLC, are you using the output of an Encoder or are you commanding it via RS-232? I'll need this information in order to know how to assist you. I've worked with ADC controllers for over 20 years so I'm very familiar with them and most other controllers. I have been a System Integrator most of my career so hopefully I can help you. Frank

I'm using the output of the encoder to drive position. Thanks for any help! Doug

That's what I thought you were doing but just wanted to verify. I've got an idea but I need to research it a little before commenting. Since you don't have any type of Smart Device in the system you are not going to be able to save the position so that's not going to be an option. FYI...Automation Direct also has a forum that you might want to post this question on. http://forum.automationdirect.com/ Frank