Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PkB01

Screensaver Control Via Remote Tag?

5 posts in this topic

I have a Panelview plus 700 firmware version 6.1. Can anyone tell me is it possible to control the screensaver remotely? What I want to do is have a screen/display come up at a certain time of day and disable the screensaver or have it deactivate for a period of time.

I've tried to do this as well and failed. The screensaver is a Windows CE feature that is tied to touchscreen actvity and RA hasn't put any features in that allow FTView to interact with it easily. The backlight intensity and the active display can be changed, though, so my workaround is the create my own "Screen saver" Display that's just the customer logo on a gray background. I had to write my own activity timeout logic (only for a few displays) and switch to that Display and turn down the backlight when the system is idle. When somebody touches the screen, I switch back to the previous display and turn the backlight up. It's a lot of work, but it did the job for me.

Hi Ken, Thanks for the Reply, I've setup a "Rabbit Test" in this machine so that at 04:30 and 16:30 (basically before the start of each shift the Rabbit Test kicks on and they cannot run production until the test is done. Unfortunately the machine is usually idle at that point and the Screensaver has come up. So even when my test screen comes up its still behind the screensaver and of course the old saying you can lead an operator to a machine but you cant make them run I properly applies. I suppose I can just disable the screensaver but really didn't want to do that.

There is a way to wiggle the "mouse" via VBA to wake the screen up on command. Could you use that technique on a timer to keep the screen saver at bay until a time of your choosing?

This may be the ticket. PLC code to terminate or kill the screen saver. If this approach works, you could have PLC code to trigger the screen saver kill if the operator has not run the Rabbit Test feature you mention. https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3225/related/1