Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jones

Edit Data Block Address Name

4 posts in this topic

I have used an address from a data block which is currently declared as "spare". The code change has been downloaded, is working and everything is fine. I now would like to change the name of the address to something relevant for future fault finding. I have got into trouble previously for doing this within an instance data block. My question is, once I edit the name do I need to download the datablock, the datablock and all associated functions or just save the datablock and download the functions where the address is used? Thanks

when you change the address name without download to PLC, its only affect in your offline project, the program in your PLC is nothing change. You can only download the function without PLC fault because PLC just care the physical address of DBs. In case you only change name of address, you dont need to download anything to PLC, you can go online function block but Data block is impossible. Be careful if you download DB, the actual value in DB will be lost and may the machine or sequence stop. Hope this helps

Thanks for the reply. If I change the name of the address in the datablock and download the DB (while the plant is not running), does the name automatically get updated in the function block without the need for a FB download? Or do I need to download both. What is the best practice when making these type of changes?

Note that you can note change the address name in instance DB without open FB. The name does not get update automatically, hence you need to open FB or FC to change the synbol name inside and download to PLC