Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Meinereiner

RSLinx Enterprise, Redundancy and Alias Topics

4 posts in this topic

Hi there, I got a little huge problem with the redundancy concept of AB. My network consists of 24 CLX61 controllers, each one redundant (twins with RM module). Each controller got 2 network adapters and there for 2 different IPs connected to 2 Ethernet rings. On top of that I got a Win2008 server also connected to both network rings. The server needs to access the PLC data via OPC. Usually I would use RSLinx Classic and create one topic for each IP and the proper alias combining the 2 IPs of the controller. If one network ring fails it will automatically switch to the other one and serve the OPC client with the same tag. Because the data amount is too large for Classic (approx. 30000 datapoints)the handling is done by RSLinx Enterprise where I don't have the possibility to create aliases. That means for now the whole redundancy concept is questionable because the OPC client is not able to filter the data properly. Is there any alternative solution out there to get alias topics back with the Enterprise solution? Rockwell said no but I still don't want to give up on this. Thx, Michael

Looks to me that you are trying to create a software solution that may just be better served by using more hardware How about using multiple PC to RS linx classic (Gateway ?) limit and have them feeding the Server (maybe use Virtual PC's)?

Hmmmmm sounds not much cleaner than the current setup, but I thought about the basic idea and probably I could get another server available. That ponts me to another question: Can I set up 2 Factory Talk Life Data Interfaces on 1 server and can I get FT Gateway to talk to both of them? Or is there a chance to set up FT View SE again together with 2 FTLDIs on one server and FT Gateway pointing to this one from my SCADA server?

OK, again maybe I can't see the obvious.... In RSLinx Enterprise Server Properties I can set up a secondary server. According to the docu it will switch to the secondary if the primary fails. I can even define one comm path for either server. So the question is, is the system intelligent and switches over for every SHORTCUT (so I would just need to define one shortcut per controller for the primary pointing to one ETH card and for the secondary pointing to the other) it can not resolve or just on server error? Maybe somebody got experience on this. Sounds like I could easily try it, fact is I'm working on a live system and every information is valuable before starting over... Greetz