Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
patb63

SoftLogix 5 to ControLogix 5000 Conversion

3 posts in this topic

Once again, I'm seeking the knowledge of folks here. Is there any "easy" way to convert a SoftLogix 5 program to a ControLogix 5000 program? I tried the Translate tool in RSLogix 5000 and it gave me an error saying you could not use a SoftLogix program. Thanks in advance for any help. Pat

Check the release notes for the v2 Translation Tool, but I think you'll find it only works on physical PLC-5 controller projects. If you can export most of the ladder logic into a project for a PLC-5/40 or 5/80 then you might try the conversion tool again. The big issue with SoftLogix migration is usually that there are external code calls to Windows executables and other close integration with the PC. That's a challenge to re-work in the ControlLogix platform. If you can post the SoftLogix 5 program here, maybe Forum members can take a whack at migrating it. When I have the option, I prefer to simple copy-paste big chunks of rungs from RSLogix 5/500 into RSLogix 5000 and do my conversion of PLC/SLC data types into descriptive ControlLogix tags right there. It's a little more error prone than automatic conversion, but it enforces discipline to not just create ugly "N7[xx]" arrays and other PLC-style memory managment in ControlLogix, and requires me to examine all the logic very closely.

Thanks for the info. I'm really more interested in converting the I/O addresses into Tag aliases instead of the ladder logic anyway.