Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
WKla

Extending memory

10 posts in this topic

Hello, I have an FX1N PLC and I would like to add a memory cassette because I run out of memory. What kinds of memory cassettes are available for this PLC? When connecting the memory the total memory of the program increases? If it increases, how do I set the new maximum memory in GX IEC Developer? I also use FX1N-232-BD communication board and I need the memory cassette to be compatible with it. The FX1N-EEPROM-8L memory cassette looks to do the work but I don't know if it actually increases the total program memory or it is used for transferring programs. Any suggestions are welcomed. Thank you.

The FX1N memory cassettes replace the onboard memory. They do not add to it. If you are out of memory, you will need to upgrade to an FX2N or FX3U. You might want to check to see if you are storing comments on the PLC. That's an easy way to free up a lot of memory.

It also depends on how much more programming you want to add. You can safely remove all the 'NOP's from the listings (no operation) if the program has been edited many times you can find hundreds of these. Each one adds 1 step

I work in Melsec IL. In which case the NOP are added to the code?

You download comment just the same way you download the main programme and perameters.However not all P.L.C.s support download of comments. If you edit a programme and delete parts of a programme in ladder you do not see a NOP. But if you view the programme in instruction list you will see NOPS.

If you're working in Instruction List and don't see any NOPs, then there aren't any. You could do a "Find Instruction" if you want to check. In the PLC Parameters, you have to select the option to save comments on the PLC, and tell it how many "blocks". Each "block" takes up a certain amount of program memory space. If you set the number of blocks to zero, then you'll free up memory for your program. However, the PLC will no longer be able to store comments for the next guy, so make sure the soft copy of the program is readily available! I don't use GX Developer IEC, so I don't know where to tell you to look for the parameters.

That means I have to upgrade to FX2N/FX3U or to make some optimizations. What is the maximum memory capacity of the FX2N and FX3U?

FX2N comes with 8K program memory, but can be expanded to 16k with the FX-RAM-8 memory module. The FX3U comes with 64k of program memory.

Greetings All! I am in a memory situation myself with a Mitsubishi FX1N-60 MT that is using a F930Got-BWd-C touch screen hmi display, used to control an ink pad printer. My problem is that the PLC has limited eeprom storage which it is losing after setting in storage without power for a week or two at a time. This causes huge set up delays because of the many "moves" that must be programmed into it for each recipe. We do plan to go ahead and get the GX software/cable to upload the programs to our laptop for back up, but were exploring alternatives to either increase memory or be able to back them up to a flash drive (or any storage media)automatically. Since I have never worked with Mitsubishi plc's, I thought I would seek out some ideas here on this forum. I know these are older plc's so my options are likely more limited, but I am willing to explore some "hacks" that might work to upgrade these machines. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Don't post on a topic from 2008, it's been nearly 7 years since this post was active. Make your own new topic. As for your answer, you cannot expand the memory on the FX1N. It's all EEPROM based, so there's no battery and no reason for the loss of data you are describing... Are you certain you are using the specific registers which are retentive? D128 through D7999 are the retentive addresses. D0 through D127 do not retain their values. If you need more memory, FX2N had more. Anything in the FX3 family would work too, but I do not know if your old screen can talk to FX3...