Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mehdi4467

Using CX-Supervisor as client server

4 posts in this topic

Hi, Could we use cx-supervisor as client server? if yes how we can use it? thanks

well, yes. you should follow the cx-supervisor user manual chapter 15 and appendix A. one thing though, not in manual is that the windows users on all machines i.e. on all clients and server should have the same username and password. otherwise it's not working, as from my experience. you can put different names (not usernames) for users which is what is displayed on the windows logon screen - if specified.

Hi there, In my experience, this can be a bit much for CX-Supervisor and more like full size SCADA requirement than mid sized HMI package. Yes, the peer-to-peer connections described in chapter 15 DO work, but as Tashinz says it can be incredibly difficult to set up DCOM, especially with different operating systems, or with different user names, or on a network without a Domain controller - possible but (very) difficult. In addition there are other drawbacks: - It is not so easy to define and use large numbers of shared tags with each having to be defined on each machine. If you have to edit them... - There is no "Disconnection" error, or reconnection method - you have to create your own watchdog and do manually. - Achievable performance is never documented (unlike for the direct Comms methods) (??) Again, possible - but not easy. A couple other ideas I've had much better success with: 1. Use Ethernet (or EthernetIP) If all "Client" machines can access the PLC(s) over Ethernet (or EthernetIP) then you don't need a server - just set tham all to read the PLC directly! 2. Use an OPC Server. CX-Supervisor(s) works well as an OPC Client either locally or remotely. Install an OPC Server on the server machine (Either Omron's OPC Server, or another vendor - you choose) then have every CX-Supervisor client read PLC data from the server. Yes this still has some of the DCOM setup problems, but usually able to resolve. 3. Use FINS Gateway New with CX-Supervisor V3, is FINS Gateway Ethernet driver (has to be installed manually). With this driver installed you can set up "DocMemo" links (type of low frequency 'datalink') between each PC node. By creating a block of 'shared' data between nodes, CX-Supervisor can just read the data direct from the local FINSGateway (and is quicker than reading from the PLC!) As always - suggest you set up a trial before just taking my word for it but I think these could be interesting for you. Regards, Bertie

forget dcom / opc it's a dobule disaster (microsoft + omron) is better to use an ethernet plc as intermediate (and as usual, sorry for my bad english)