Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BobLfoot

Is PanelView Plus RIO Transfer Possible

9 posts in this topic

I have a PanelView Plus 700 with RIO Communication module running as a replacement for a DL40 4 line display. All is well, but if I need to modify the program from what I read in the manuals Serial and Ethernet are my only means of program transfer to and from unit. Has anyone had any success with using RIO Passthru to load a program into the PVPlus RIO displays, or did we lose this functionality in the "upgrade" from PanelView to PanelView Plus.

You can not transfer Panelview Plus programs to Panelview Plus Terminals using RIO Passthru This functionality is not supported in the Panelview Plus Terminals Remember you have now Upgraded

I just installed two panelview plus in the last few months. 1 had rio module. Lead commander is correct, using the ethernet or serial connection is the only options.

Sorry this maybe a simple question but how would you use RIO to transfer a program? I have never seen this done. I thought (shame on me) that RIO was only for I/O comms. I have a PCMK-B and always wanted to know how and why it said RIO. I have used it used it to do DH485 & DH+ but that is it.

You can on the old RIO Panelview do Ethernet or DH+ to RIO passthru and actually program your panelview from a DH+ or Ehternet connection on a PLC5.

Thanks I did not know that was a possibile. I did some research and find out what the PCMK RIO is used "For demo only" using a 1784 PCMS/A Cable assembly. That is comming from the PCMK rev B Manual. Anyone have any idea as how to use this or why?

Hi, Like you I was curious about the PCMK/B RIO specification so looked on the AB site & found that the cable 1784 PCMS/A is not readily abailable to purchase. The whole "for demo purpose" seems a little strange to me. I suppose if a person had the correct cable adapter & driver or software package you could run a RIO scanner/adapter type application from the laptop. Yes/no/maybe? Maybe just for emulation type demonstrations? BD

I believe the PMCK/B will do good ole DH+. To program a Panelview Standard RIO terminal connected to a SLC/PLC, you can use that card to get to the SLC/PLC, and use its passthrough function to connect to the Panelview Standard for downloading. This ONLY works if the Panelview Standard terminal is configured to allow RIO downloads. This is a checkbox in the system folder of PanelBuilder32. If the last person did not check it, then you are SOL until you load an application via another port. Also, when you download, you may have to deal with changing the rack number of a replacement first, which I think can be done on the cofig page. Been-awhilago since I done dat. My company only uses AB HMI products and I, so far, have avoided being "upgraded" into RSView Studio programming. I have managed to let another guy deal with all of those headaches, although we are mostly using the Plus versions of the quirky beasts now. The cool thing is that he can sit in the warm office and program then all via ethernet, while I, being the new guy, get to program robots with my frozen thumbs in the 2nd coldest part of the plant. I wouldn't trade with him though. . .being a hands-on guy with no patience for buggy bloatware. :) As for using a PC to control RIO? I think it was used (and maybe still is) with Softlogix with a regular desktop PC in a box(1784-PKxx?), but not officially supported with the laptop version. Paul EDIT: Edited by OkiePC

Hmmm EDIT: And: It looks like the regular PMCK, and PKxx cards can be used. I never hears of the S suffix card though. . . Edited by OkiePC