Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bgtorque

Logging PLC channel data

2 posts in this topic

I am using AB CompactLogix PLC's. I'd really like to be able to log numerous channels (maybe up to 50) on my laptop during commissioning (runs are typically 30 mins to an hour). I envisage creating move instructions to some register for ethernet comms to my laptop (Win 7 - 64bit). Is there any software that I can configure to interpret and log the data if I connect my laptop ethernet port to the PLC network? I'd really like to be able to do this without additional data logger hardware (such as Red Lion, etc), and open source software would be ideal. Obviously this is a big ask, is it also unrealistic? I know that I can use trend screens etc in RS Logix, but it is not always possible to have a machine with RS Logix around, plus it is not very configurable. Cheers.

I replied briefly on my mobile earlier, now I'm at the desktop I'll provide more detail. Ignition, by Inductive Automation is a full blown SCADA package. It however can do what you want, for free. There is a free download, the only restriction is a 2 hr limit (but this can be reset, infinitely). It includes an OPC-UA module which means you can run Ignition on your laptop and have it communicate over EthernetIP to your CPX. It can log to SQL databases, as much and as fast as your laptop CPU can handle. You don't need to create any MOV instructions. Launch the ignition designer and create a transaction group for the tags you want to store historically. Or drag and drop them straight into an easy chart for real time viewing (this also logs to an internal buffer, but the data wouldn't be saved for future reference as it would with a SQL transaction group). If all this sounds complicated, it's not. I'm setting up a CPX for a project here at the minute, once I have everything connected if you want I'll give you a Skype demo. Regards,