Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AndyG

EVRSI to FactoryTalk

6 posts in this topic

New to the forums here... Currently my company is using EVRSI activation for RSView32 7.4 and RSLogix 5000 V. 17. We used to use Windows XP but now the company is switching over to Windows 7. Does RSView32 V. 7.4 and RSLogix 5000 V. 17 run on Windows 7? And is it possible to use EVRSI activation on Windows 7 or will we have to switch to FactoryTalk (I know we'll have to switch to FactoryTalk eventually anyway....trying to hold off on that, though). I can't call Rockwell Support because my company is in the process of renewing the support contract, so I'm hoping some of you guys will be able to help me out. Thanks. Andy

It is my understanding that you can get activation support without a contract.

You can get Activation support without a contract ONLY if it is a FT activation. EVRSI activations are not supported without a contract. I have just converted several pages of software from EVRSI for this reason.

I understand your reluctance to switch to FT Activation. I'm guessing all your EvRSI activations might not be legit. The thing is, since you can get concurrent activations, you actually might find that you need fewer licenses than you did before. Where I work we have a single concurrent license for RSLogix 5000 for three people and it works out just fine. I was pretty apprehensive about it, but once I had it all set up on a central server, dealing with the licensing has been as pain-free as EvRSI was. The advantage is with concurrent licenses you can install the software on as many PCs as you want, and as long as the number of PCs using the software at the same time doesn't exceed the number of licenses you have, you're fine.

What about the laptops that sit on the floor for weeks then suddenly have to be pressed into service with no notice? Do they have to be (or can they be) checked into the server to get activated long enough to travel to a field site to do some work? How does that work in that case? Is the USB dongle the only option in that case?

It is possible to rehost an activation to a new computer, but I have gotten different answers about whether there is a limit on the frequency with which you can do so. If you have a bunch of laptops that are only occasionally used, the most convenient method will probably be the USB dongle, as long as you can keep track of them. This is especially true if the laptops don't have network access. Our maintenance laptops do not have reliable network access (another story...), especially when out on the floor. We have enough seats to go around so we just hosted the necessary activations to each computer.