Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
denise01

Night Time Logging

12 posts in this topic

Hello, does any one know a way for me to Data Log a csv spread sheet over a period of 8 hours starting at 2200 and finishing at 0600 in the morning and then logging subsequently for the same times. Regards Peter

Yes. Use a data logger. They will come with software and cable to a computer. I morning dump data to a CSV file upload file to Excel and do number crunching. Need more info on what your needs are. Dan Bentler

Hello Dan, The problem I have is that when I data log using Start Logging, Stop Logging and Export Logging using timings 2200 Start Logging and Stop Logging 0600 and Export Log 0601 I find the csv file is only covered from 0100. I have had an excel template designed to cover from 2200-0600 so this is a problem for me, is there away around this problem. Regards Peter

Hi Peter. Are you Data Logging to a DLV file or database connection? If you are logging to DLV try changing the "Dataset Period" - if you have it set to 1 day then I expect it is creating a new file during the period you want to log. As a test, if you open the file in the Data Log Viewer does it show the data there and allow you to export manually? Regards, Bertie

Hi Peter, Here are some helpful topics which cover your problem more or less. I don't believe there is a real solution to this problem but perhaps you can workaround it with this information. http://forums.mrplc.com/index.php?showtopic=16624 http://forums.mrplc.com/index.php?showtopic=13790

Hello Bertie, I think we have talked before. I log to a data base connection which saves the 2200 -0600 nightshift data on to a network drive from there I transfer it to a template which calculates output, wastage etc the 0600-1400 and 1400-2200 logs are fine but the problem is the night one. Regards Peter

Hi Peter. Yes it seems you're still struggling with this one. So is it the daily roll over that causes this problem with the night one? Rgds Bertie

Peter Got your response on email the other day then could not find in forum to respond. Am now doing so. Assuming you have a data logger that will run logging the average reading every X amount of time and you can run these up to a week and you have to download data to a CSV file but only to prevent memory write over. I really need a better idea of what data you are handling. I do not fully comprehend your dilemna UNLESS management wants a report for the last 24 hrs ie 3 shifts on his desk at start of day shift. He is just gonna have to give you an hour to download and do computations to break out each shift data from the 24 hour data. OR you can download every 8 hours (allowing for lunch etc). This will take two or three people one for each shift maybe. Then comes another problem what do you do if someone gets sick? Dan Bentler

Could you log from 2200 to 0000 and then 0000 to 0600? Perhaps that is a work around.

Many thanks for your suggestions. On Friday I trialled the demo method of using the data base instead of the logger will see how it has worked when I get in to work on Monday. Regards Peter

Hello, I tried logging to a data base but because my company only uses excel it did not work. I tried the DLV splitting 22- 2359 and then 0000-0600 but again it still starts at 0100 if I convert to UTC it then shows data from 000-0500 any body know the best dataset period to use. Regards Peter

Can you post your project script? Are you using the '$Time' point in the script? You probably need to set the period to 1 month. Setting it to 1 day may cause a problem at midnight.