Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
iarglez

DOUBT regarding 1761 NETENI

5 posts in this topic

Hello guys, I would like your help confirming the 1761 NETENI function. As in the AB manual 1761 UM006E says: Peer-to-Peer MessagingThis chapter describes messaging between the ENI/ENIW and DF1devices. The following topics are covered:• Messaging Between the ENI/ENIW and DF1 Devices• Message to Configuration Nodes (Nodes 100 to 149) andSending a Message to a Destination Controller (Nodes 0 to 49)Messaging Between theENI/ENIW and DF1 DevicesThe ENI/ENIW can route a DF1 message received from the attachedcontroller to a compatible destination TCP/IP device, using DF1 nodeaddresses 0 through 49. ENI/ENIW Node addresses 100 through 149store TCP/IP destination addresses. When the ENI/ENIW receives awrite message to nodes 100 to 149, it stores the TCP/IP destinationaddress in the corresponding map register.To configure the destination TCP/IP addresses, you can use either theENI/ENIW Configuration Utility, or you can send a 485CIF/PLC2message to each node as described in this section. EtherNet/IP Connectivity The 1761-NET-ENI and 1761-NET-ENIW provide EtherNet/IPconnectivity for all MicroLogix controllers, CompactLogix controllers,and other DF1 full-duplex devices. The Ethernet Network Interface,ENI or ENIW, allows you to easily connect non-Ethernet controllersonto new or existing Ethernet networks and upload/downloadprograms, communicate between controllers, and generate emailmessages via SMTP (simple mail transport protocol).EtherNet/IP is an industry standard open protocol which providesinter-device compatibility. You can exchange information with otherAllen-Bradley Ethernet controllers (SLC, PLC, and ControlLogix) in apeer-to-peer relationship, so you do not need any master-type device.The ENI and ENIW also support an SMTP mail service that allows anexisting controller to send email messages to any destinationconnected to the network. The email can be used to initiate thetransmission of data or status information. Is it possible to send a TCP message to an TCP/IP device which is not an SLC? In this specific case I have a 2D reader QXHAWK which has TCP/IP communication capability and it can be commanded remotely by using a special command language. The thing is, as long as there are no register to access in this reader as in the SLC controllers when using the MSG instruction to write or read, what should I use as the DATA TABLE ADDRESS in the TARGET DEVICE segment of the message setup? Or does it the NETENI is only focused to messaging between SLC, Micrologix and other AB devices only? I'll appreciate any comments. Regards,IA

Your second evaluation is correct; the 1761-NET-ENI is focused on messaging to SLC-500 and MicroLogix controllers. It has no generic ASCII or TCP capabilities. A bridge device like the Digi One IAP might do what you want, and certainly a Red Lion DataStation Plus would do it.

Thank you Ken, for clarifying the approach of the 1761 NETENI to other ethernet/ip devices. After a couple of documents read related to ETHERNET/IP, I noticed that the SLC 5/05 has other messaging capabilities such as the EEM output that can initiate CIP messages. Have you ever try touse this output function as a standard messaging among other non SLC devices? I also have read several topics in this FORUM giving as a recommendation to use other devices to do multiprotocol conversion when using other non SLC or AB devices.

The SLC-5/05's EEM capability is better than the Net-ENI, but less functional than the ControlLogix. It can send A-B CIP protocol commands, but not generic "ASCII over Ethernet" sort of messages. That capability in the A-B hardware world is limited to the modern 5370 family CompactLogix and the ControlLogix with a 1756-EN2T or 1756-EWEB module. In the SLC family, you might also use a Prosoft module like the 1747-GEC that can go "Generic Ethernet" communications. If it were my system, I'd use the Red Lion DataStation Plus. Inexpensive, flexible, and relatively easy to program.
1 person likes this

Clear enough! I appreciate your support! Thanks again!