Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
python01

Using AB 440R-C23017 with light curtains?

2 posts in this topic

I wanted to use the 440R-C23017 to monitor light curtains on machinery. When looking for wiring diagrams with light curtains I have noticed that I can not find any. They all show gate switches, e-stops, etc. Can this safety relay be used with light curtains at all? And if so, can someone point me to any drawing samples demonstrating that use? Thank you.

well, safety relays are designed for particular functions (estop, gates, light curtains, two hand,...). as the datasheet says this safety replay is meant for interlock switches and e-stops. since estop buttons are basically a pair of dry contacts, polarity to them does not matter. this is used so one contact is wired in a positive loop, other in the negative (see datasheet or attached image which is taken from it). this way relay input channels working at different voltage levels,allowing cross channel fault detection. for example if the cable to estop is cut, during cutting channels would short and blow fuse. relays for light curtains work differently because output from light curtain is different - it is a pair of OSSDs and both of them are "PNP" (unless you end up buying something obscure meant for Japanese market). in other words, both relay inputs expect positive voltage (unlike estop safety relay). most light curtains have built in EDM and do not need external controller, pair of dumb relays or contactors is sufficient (still must be safety rated of course).