Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RBmaintenance

Omron IA221 input cards

7 posts in this topic

Hi all, I recently got an old rima rs-12 counter stacker working. It was out in the plant working flawlessly until apparently the wires going into the power supply magically ripped themselves out. The operated hooked the wires up again but mixed them up(both black). When he powered up it instantly tripped a breaker inside the machine. He switched them and turned it back on to find that the flippers and pusher no longer work. The two omron IA221 input cards that control the flippers and pusher no longer have lights on them and I have found multiple open and short capacitors on the cards. The cards are 110VAC and I'm thinking the reversed polarity shouldn't have affected the cards, perhaps there is a greater problem I need to resolve before repairing and installing the cards. Could this have damaged the PLC itself? Any information will be greatly appreciated. I know it isn't really a PLC problem(or maybe it is.) Edited by RBmaintenance

That is a tough one to answer. The AC input card should be isolated from the AC power supply. Is the power feeding the stacker 120 or 240 VAC? You refer to polarity, but only 120 would have polarity with reference to ground. If the machine was powered up when the wires were pulled out, it is possible that one touched the Ground screw on the power supply. If this happened, there may be more damage than you can see, including the backplane. The ground is routed through the backplane to all the IO slots.
1 person likes this

It is 120 and It is very likely it was powered up while the wires were out. Would everything else function normally had this occured? Right now everything functions except the flippers and pusher. Also there are no wires hooked up to the ground on the power supply. Just L1 and L2 120 VAC and 24 VDC out + and -. Edited by RBmaintenance

Is this your Omron S6 PLC that you are referring to? Pushers and Flippers would be controlled by an output card. Part number starting with an "O" and having a yellow sticker. Do you know how to 'Force' the outputs ON? If this is the same PLC, you said you have a programming console and I posted a link to the manual that explains how to do this. Be careful when 'Forcing' outputs as this will override conditions in the program. You may want to start with the air off (assuming they are air actuated) and just verify the light comes on first. This input card would be driven by sensors, reed switches, push buttons, etc... Indeed this is a difficult one to answer as anything could have happened when it comes to loose wires shorting things. For starters, is the 'Run' light on on the PLC?
1 person likes this

This is the omron s6 I am referring to and I have not tried forcing the output yet however when I push the flipper/pusher button a light comes on on the output card. They are not air actuated they have a 120VAC solenoid that triggers the clutches. I got someone to push the button while i tested the connections going into the solenoids and got no power. I know the input cards used to have lights before the wires were crossed, they no longer have lights. I know on other stackers if the plc doesn't get the signal from the photoeye that counts the books the flippers will not fire even when manually pushing the button. The run light is on on the PLC when powered up even when not running. I also noticed that the stop light doesn't come on even when a mushroom stop button is down. I don't know if this is supposed to be on or not. I also ordered two input cards(more cost effective than soldering 20 new capacitors and diodes into each card) Edited by RBmaintenance

This is OK. The Stop light is an indicator of the state of the running program. Conditions in the running program should start / stop your machine. Edited by IO_Rack
1 person likes this

I checked to see if there was power going to the I/O cards. There is 120vac going to the first input card but nothing into the second or the output card. Edited by RBmaintenance