Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wal

How to notice a rapture in the analog input card?

8 posts in this topic

Hi, I work with FX2N-4AD card. Minimal signal corresponds to 4mA input. When I disconnect input the configured register shows zero. How can PLC distinguish the minimum signal from a rapture (0 mA input)? regards, Wal

As I recall there is a status bit for that. Does Buffer #29 bit 10 do it for you?

Thank You Jeremy for the answer. I monitored the buffer memory #29 while disrupting an analog input. The value remained zero. Probably, it does need some extra dedicated settings to work correctly.

I think maybe that bit only comes on if the input is outside the whole analog input range of +/- 20mA. You could maybe configure the input for the whole range instead of 4-20, then you'd see when the input drops to zero. Downside is that you'd lose some resolution. I think the newer version of that card (FX3U-4AD) has more options available.

As JRoss suggested, select the full value scale from -/+20mA. Once the digital signal drops below minimum(find out digital value corresponding to 4mA), consider cable to be broken.

Hi, thank You for the answers. Don't think that the range is wrong configured. When the signal=zero, the corresponding input current =4mA, as expected. Did somebody try to distinguish a rapture with FX2N-4AD?

Yes, the range you have selected will give you 0-1000 for input signal 4-20mA. But that won't give you the "rapture" information you're looking for. If you change to +/-20mA, you will get 0-1000 for input signal 0-20mA. With that setup, at 4mA you'll get 200. If your value drops close to zero, you'll know you lost your signal. The trade-off is you'll lose a little resolution, with only 800 data points over your range instead of 1000.
1 person likes this

Thank You Jeremy, this is a good idea. I will try it.