Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
swanryan81

Powerflex 40 Amperage

6 posts in this topic

I am very new to profibus and was wondering if it was possible to get a Powerflex 40 VFD amperage over profibus using RsLogix 5000. Trying to set up some high amp alarms for my facility and cant seem to find good information anywhere. Any information is appreciated! Thanks!

In the Powerflex 40 manual, page 48: http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/22b-um001_-en-e.pdf It looks like Output Current is Parameter d003, I think this is the parameter you need. I have never used Profibus myself. On pg. 112 in the manual, it says you need adapter 22-COMM-P for your Powerflex to give it Profibus capability. Does your drive already have that?

Thank you for the reply. I should have been more informative. Yes all of my facilities VFD are currently connected through profibus to either a controllogix 5000 cpu using a profibus module or a compatlogix using a profibus module. Edited by swanryan81

Bump

I do not have RSLogix5000 myself currently, but I remember configuring a Powerflex drive some time ago thru RSLogix5000. When you open the RSLogix5000 project, look on the left hand side under the Project Organizer. Do you see the drive there? I believe you have to right click on the drive and select Properties. You will get a popup window with multiple tabs. Under one of the tabs, you should be able to see which drive parameters are currently being transmitted. These are called "datalinks". You should be able to add additional parameters (in your case, Current). I'm sorry that I can't be more of help, like I said I do not have access to RSLogix5000 currently. If you are able to call Rockwell tech support or use the Rockwell Knowledge Base, ask them about datalinks and say you want to transmit an additional drive parameter over Profibus.

Part of the challenge is that the PowerFlex 40 does not support DataLinks the way the PowerFlex 7-series (and the older A-B 1336+ family drives) do. You just get the Command and Status words, plus the Reference and Feedback words, and that's it. The Profibus modules are far less common than the ordinary EtherNet/IP or ControlNet modules. With any of those, writing a MSG instruction to read a parameter from the drive would be simple. I'm surprised that the OP has RA drives connected to RA controllers using a Siemens network protocol, but there must be a reason. The key question here is whether or not the Profibus modules he's using on the PLC and the drive end support acyclic parameter reads over Profibus DP. And I just don't know.