Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sajid

Wonderware InControl

6 posts in this topic

Hi, I worked with InTouch Factory Suite package some time back and I am curious to know more about another element of the suite InControl. It looks like a software for developing control.Please share your knowledge on this.Is it a soft PLC or is it just to develop logic for the InTouch HMI???? Thanks.

It's a soft PLC. More details here... http://www.wonderware.com/products/incontrol/

InControl is a software PLC. Now for the many those of you who are wondering: "Exactly why would a sane person want to control costly machinery by a computer, running Windows Operating system?" The answer is simple: InControl is suitable for things that "real" PLC's can't do. Of course PLC's can do just about everything. That's why InControl is so rarely used. My local wonderware salesman told me he had installed InControl just once, in a project where they had gazillions of tags to be logged at freaking high speed in a SQL database. I don't know how many tags at what sampe rate, but it made the best PLC's out there go dizzy. So the logical way was to install dedicated IO's on a PC and they ran everything locally, including the SQL Database. And that was the only InControl project he knew of...

Thanks for your replys, Well I seem to be getting more and more information on Soft PLCs. There are lots of people who know about them but havent ever met one who had used it. It might take some time to soft PLCs to compete with the hardware based PLCs.But right now I dont think using a soft PLC is actually that good an idea. Thanks again.

I've only ever used the Entivity VLC softPLC offering. I wouldn't use it again anytime soon. Even when able to run a non windows kernel for execution Soft PLC is still on a PC.

In wonderware training, our teacher was using this incontrol software to make simulation for all our computers. I ask him about this software and howmuch it coast, but he said that he is not sure if it is for sale or just for internal use inside wonderware.