Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
chantecler

q about upgrading fw to a compactlogix plc

6 posts in this topic

Hi all, I've been asked to upgrade the firmware to a couple of compactlogix plc's from v17.2 to v20.12 for normalization reasons. So far I have only flashed new ones. I would like to know if I have to empty the plc's memories before flashing and what would happen if I don't. I already upgraded the programs from v17 to v20 in my computer and they are ready for download. Thank you. Edited by chantecler

You don't have to empty the PLC's memory (not even sure how you would do that!), although when you do the firmware upgrade, the memory will be cleared. So it is very, very important that you have a copy of the program before you do this. By the sound of it you do - and it's a good idea to upgrade the program files to the intended firmware version on your laptop before you start so that you know you won't run into any problems there after you've gone and upgraded the firmware. Which again, you've done. So all in all, you should be good to go!

Thank you very much. I should have written "clear" instead of "empty". I sincerely apologize for my english (or lack of it). Thanks again

Does the firmware default the IP address of PLC after upgrade ? I don't want to mess around with RSLinx or bootp to get program back in. I want to limit downtime as much as possible. Hopefully IP stays the same. Any help would be appreciated.

Hi and welcome to the forum! Generally it's best to start a new thread for a different question - if nothing else it'll help someone searching for an answer to the same question later on. But in any case, no the IP address does not reset with a firmware upgrade. All communication settings remain the same. Edited by ASForrest
1 person likes this

I didn't create a new thread because I was expanding on the firmware upgrade process being discussed. Anyway, thanks for the reply.