EET

Best PLCs for education?

7 posts in this topic

Hello, I work for a University Engineering department. We are looking into replacing our current PLC stations with something more modern. I would appreciate suggestions or knowing what experience you look for in new engineers. Our students do use LogixPro and RCLogic and our current hardware are Festos set up with Allen-Bradley MicroLogix 1200 and pneumatics system. PLCs are not something I have much/any experience with, but I want to do due diligence before investing in new equipment. Thanks in advance.

I can't say how it would work out price point wise. But I am hearing and seeing good things done with the micro 8xx series and connected components workbench. THe CCW would allow for systems of Drives and OLCs.

IF (big IF) you're trying to turn out graduates with job skills which would likely be impressive to prospective employers, I'd suggest that you consider the ControlLogix platform ... downside: ControlLogix is going to be more expensive to set up ... and it's going to require teaching a lot more material ... upside: I'm being overwhelmed lately by a steady stream of customers who are demanding skills for the ControlLogix platform ... to be truthful, I'm still selling full classes on the older SLC/MicroLogix systems and (believe it or not) on the old-reliable PLC-5 platform too ... but ... personally, if I were going to school as a student nowadays, I'd want the ControlLogix platform on my resume ... suggestion: IF (another big IF) you're trying to prepare your graduates for your LOCAL job market, then by all means, ask the local employers what types of skills that they need ... if, on the other hand, you're just trying to give your students a "general exposure" to PLC skills, (in particular, to ladder logic) then I'd strongly suggest the MicroLogix 1100 platform ... the software for that one is a free legal download and so each student could have a copy to work with at home ...

I would vote for the Micrologix 1100. You can teach Ethernet, have the advantages of online editing, can add expansion modules for analog, temperature, etc, and the software is free. Here is our basic Micrologix 1100 trainer. http://www.theautomationstore.com/allen-bradley-micrologix-1100-ethernet-plc-trainer/ Here is one that includes analog http://www.theautomationstore.com/allen-bradley-micrologix-1100-ethernet-plus-analog-plc-trainer/ Ron is right, the Controllogix would be better but that blows the budget of most schools. We evaluated the Micrologix 800 and it was just too different than everything else, here is a video I did while downloading and evaluating it. Also along with the RsLogix 500 software being free for the Micrologix 1100, you can also download Emulate which allows students to test their code. It is not a substitute for a real PLC but helps with homework exercises. Here is how to download, install, and run them.

You might want to consider contacting a couple of the local distributors to see what they have to offer. There are some factory sponsored packages for educational institutions that may get you discounted or even free software and hardware.

As a university, I would consider asking some local companies what brand of PLCs they use. I have seen numerous colleges in my 18 years of automation design, fabrication, programming, support, and teaching, and so many have such obsolete junk that the students are almost being ripped off. They come out with a degree and no experience which companies can actually use. Once you know what the local industry uses, contact those manufacturers and see what they can do to assist you. Many automation companies have programs for education where they will discount hardware or provide discounted/free software. Make sure whatever you teach is relevant to the potential employers. And don't feel you have to lock into a single brand. Maybe a couple different brands of low-to-middle end controllers which you can teach side by side would be the best approach.

Hi EET, I can also suggest you to use a ISaGRAF based PLC since the ISaGRAF has been acquired by Rockwell. ISaGRAF uses the standard IEC61131 control languages. At this point, ICP DAS USA offers powerful and robust I-8xx7 series ISaGRAF programmable PLCs. http://www.icpdas-usa.com/i_8xx7.html?r=kaan