Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ddevins

DeviceNet Mapping?

14 posts in this topic

Hello everyone, Have a question. First I'm using SLC5/03, PV 600 touch for Devicenet, and 1747-SDN in 7-slot rack. SDN in last slot right now. Have to add more later but this is setup on my desk. Have start and stop and flashing message when comm is good. Have same in PLC. Both download fine and have D-net cable installed and everything seems to be working hardware wise. I cannot get the PV bottons to show in PLC and forcing I/O in PLC doesn't make flashing message go high. I have downloaded several RA pubs and keeps seeing "mapping I/O to SDN". Can someone elplain to me what I need to do??? I have input card in slot 3 and output card in slot 4. I guess this mapping has me lost. I'll keep reading to see if I can figure it out. Thanks for reading and your time.

I don't know if you have read the 1747 User Manual but it looks like it will address your questions. In the Short version you need to achieve the following. 1. Configure the 1747-SDN card and other cards on the DNET Network using RSNetworx. Part of this configuration will involve mapping the memory of each DNET device to an M register of SLC Processor. 2. The second part of mapping is to write logic to use and control the M registers. Have you done both these?

Thanks BobLFoot, First yes I have printed the manual. Guess I have lots of rereading to do and much more to learn. My test logic in the PLC and PV is just straight start stop rung to test operation. Other than that, I haven't mapped anything basically because I'm not sure how but I believe the hardware config is probably good. The PV 600 has some auto mapping in the hardware config that looks like it may be right---but I'm not sure. If you have time for and example of mapping, etc, it would be nice. I'll keep reading and trying to figure this out. I printed out a couple of other manuals too but don't have them here at home.

The 1747-SDN User Manual is OK, but a better reference document is the 1747-SDN Installation Instructions (get it from the literature.rockwellautomation.com website). If you know nothing about DeviceNet, go ahead and run the tutorial slideshow that is included with RSNetworx for DeviceNet. It does a good job of explaining the basics about scanlist entries, data table mapping, and slave device configuration. PanelView terminals on DeviceNet can be a little more confusing than other devices because of the nomenclature. The PanelBuilder software refers to portions of the input and output data connection as "I" and "O" data, but these addresses relate only to data inside that connection, NOT to data addresses inside the 1747-SDN. The relationship between these is defined entirely by the data mapping inside the 1747-SDN Scanlist. Consider, for example, an I/O connection between the 1747-SDN and the PanelView that is 16 Words of Input and 16 Words of Output data. Inside the PanelBuilder software, you're going to refer to that data as I:0 through I:15 and O:0 through O:15. In RSNetworx, there are always two steps to configuring an I/O connection: Configure the data size and connection type, then map that data to the 1747-SDN memory table. Both are done using the Scanlist Editor in RSNetworx for DeviceNet. You're going to configure a Polled I/O Connection between the 1747-SDN and the PanelView, using the Scanlist Editor for the 1747-SDN. I/O connections in RSNetworx are measured in Bytes (not Words) so the connection will be 32 Bytes of Input data, and 32 Bytes of Output data. Next you're going to map that data into either discrete "I:6.x and O:6.x" memory, or into "M-file" memory, addressed in the SLC as " M1:6.x and M0:6.x" registers. Usually you copy Integer file memory into and out of those registers to reduce the quantity of transfer operations that the SLC has to make to the module (they take about 2 ms each). Last you need to put the 1747-SDN into RUN mode, by setting the first bit of the first word of the output data table high: OTE O:6.0/0 in your case.

Ken, I'll print the installation instructions and see what it says. I'll also see what I can find on the slideshow. First glance, I didn't see it but we may have it also on CD's here. This mapping is really confusing to me. This appears to be a project I'm going to learn a great deal about something new to me. Thanks, I'll keep plugging here.

Well once you can do it you'll never forget how. And be thankful it is Dnet Mapping and not Panelview Remote IO Mapping.

I have no doubt I'll never forget it----once I figure out this mapping of I/O and whatever. Right now I'm trying to do mapping for a little PLC rung and PV screen just to learn and get it talking. I;m not having any luck. I've read manuals til I'm blue. Maybe I'm trying to make too much of this mapping thing. Question: If I post the PLC program, PV program, and RSNetworks for Devicenet I have, anyone willing to take a few minutes and point out where I messing up with the mapping. The devicenet sees the devices OK and the SDN is good to go with 2 solid green lights. I'm working on this basic because I have a much bigger project to do and get running in the field. Thanks for reading.

Absolutely. It's always easier to troubleshoot when you have the programs in front of you. Be sure to post which revisions of each software (RSLogix 500, RSNetworx for DeviceNet, and PanelBuilder32) you are running.

I'm sure I'll learn now. RSLogix500 Pro ver 7.00 RSNetworx for Devicenet ver 7.00 Panelbuilder 32 ver 3.82.00 Please ignore title as using a SLC 5/02. I actually have a 5/03 in the rack. The SDN is in slot 6 of the 7-slot rack and I have IA input in slot 3 and OW output in slot 4. Also ignore the Ultra 3000. Once I learn and understand this D-Net and mapping, I should be OK adding the Ultra 3000. Thanks, SLC502_Practice.PVA DeviceNet_practice.dnt SLC502_PRACTICE.RSS

Okay, I see a bunch of problems right away. Let's talk about the memory table of the SLC-500 versus the memory table of the 1747-SDN. SLC-500 I/O memory is referenced by slot number. I:3.x/y is input data for Slot 3, and O:4.x/y is output data for Slot 4. Most discrete modules have just one word of data, so the Word number zero is frequently assumed in the syntax, so you use "I:3/6" for bit 6, instead of "I:3.0/6". The display format is selectable in RSLogix 500 to include the data word or just the bit offset. All of the data from the 1747-SDN is represented in SLC-500 memory in Slot 6. The 1747-SDN appears in SLC-500 memory like a very large (in fact, as big as the discrete memory for a slot can get) module with 32 Words of data in the I/O image. I:6.0-31 and O:6.0-31 are the memory ranges for the discrete memory of the 1747-SDN in your project. The first word (I:6.0 and O:6.0) of the 1747-SDN input and output images is reserved for Command and Status purposes. The 1747-SDN also has a very large (150 words input and 150 words output) data table that can be transferred to the SLC-500 using "M-Files". You've shown a normal pair of M-files, though they only need to be the same number of Words as the I/O image you're transferring from the 1747-SDN. Because PanelView data is relatively slow compared to normal discrete I/O (you can't press a key much faster than 100-150 milliseconds) I usually map PanelView data to the M0/M1 files and run the COP instructions on a timer. Another important problem I'm seeing is that you are mistaking the "Input" and "Output" addressing in the PanelView for the "Input" and "Output" addressing in the SLC-500 memory. From PanelBuilder32 Help: For I/O Slave and Explicit-Server messaging, use the address format below to read and write data. I:<word>/<bit> O:<word>/<bit> Input (I) data is generated by the PanelView terminal and sent to a remote device. Output (O) data is received by the PanelView terminal from a remote device. Do not use blanks, tabs, carriage returns or nonprintable characters. Both <word> and <bit> entries are numeric only. That I: and O: offset is relative to the data connection (that 32 word connection you configured in RSNetworx) and is NOT the same as the I/O image in the SLC-500. Get out some graph paper. Make a column with N23:x and N22:x addresses from the SLC data table, then matching columns with the I:x and O:x addresses from PanelBuilder32. When you use RSNetworx for DeviceNet to map the PanelView I/O connection into the first part of the M0/M1 memory of the 1747-SDN, then these will be 0-0, 1-1, 2-2, 3-3.... equivalents.

A handful of other things: 1. The default node address of any DeviceNet product is Node 63, so don't use it for a regular network device. Change the 1747-SDN to Node 00, which is traditional. Make sure the SLC is in Program Mode, then either click on the "63" in the graphical view in RSNetworx, or use the Node Commissioning Tool. 2. In your SLC-500 program remember that COP instructions function on number of Elements (in this case, 16-bit Words). Copy the M1 file to your "Input Data" integer file, and the "Output Data" integer file to the M0 file. 3. In the example I'm about to post, I shrunk the I/O connection to just 32 bytes (16 words) but manually mapped it into M0/M1 memory. 4. It is traditional to place the RUN bit (O:6.0/0) in an unconditional output rung so it can't be accidentally turned off in the memory table. I have modified your example to be a little simpler and it should function correctly when you load these files. I have not tested this so it's entirely possible for there to be mistakes as well. You've chosen some of the trickiest A-B devices to network; usually networking AC drives and motor starters is a lot more straightforward. Good luck ! DNet_Mapping.zip Edited by Ken Roach

Ken and BobLFoot, You have spent a great deal of time on this with comments and researching my files. I really appreciate it. I'm printing everything and going to get started going thru it all and see what I need to do here. I'll let you know how this much goes. I'm glad the project is a ways off so I can learn the basics and then be ready to tackle the entire project. Thanks

Feel free to take up the topic of the Ultra 3000i on DeviceNet in another thread. It can be tricky as well, depending on which I/O assembly you choose. I have extensive experience with this motion controller's DeviceNet interface.

Ken, It works fine now. There was only one typo that I found and fixed. I have the Ultra 3000i configured on the devicenet. I'll take you up on the Ultra 3000i assiatance next week after I get into it more. I'm on vacation the rest of this week. Thanks so much and take care.