Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
adamriffe

Ethernet - DF1 converter

8 posts in this topic

I've finally got all of our controls into an Ethernet network except for a few micrologix devices. These machines don't really need to be on the network, but it would help me out a bit and complete the work I started. Is there a cheap solution to adapt these to the Ethernet? I might even be able to get DH+ over there if that's needed. Ethernet is preferred. I tried a Lantronix device: UDS1100 (bought 6 of 'em), but it won't work with RSLinx because I couldn't find an EDS file for it. So now I'm looking for another cheap solution. The processors involved are: 4x Micrologix 1200 4x Micrologix 1500

Depends on your definition of cheap. 1761-NET-ENI works great BUT depending on I/O requirements Micrologix 1100 may be a better "Upgrade" Also there is the possibility of DH-485 to the serial port of one of your controllers that is already connected over Ethernet. OR you about ONE Micrologix 1100. Channel 0 hooked to your other Micrologixs over DH485 and Channel 1 to your Ethernet. It doesn't support passthrough but but you could put code in it to route information from your DH485 network to your Ethernet network Yes, I'm liking this. Up to 30 devices for the cost of one Micrologix. You wouldn't be able to monitor the program over Ethernet but could do a nice data acquisition

We use DigiOne: http://www.digi.com/pdf/prd_ds_digioneiap.pdf Works good with SLC CH0. Haven't tried with Micrologix. EDS file is provided for RSLinx. The only thing we can't seem to do is pass through to the 5/04 DH+ port to communicate with the PanelView HMI attached there. It's nice to be able to go online and troubleshoot from ethernet in the office.

The Lantronix UDS1100 doesn't work the same way as the 1761-NET-ENI does. The Net-ENI is an EtherNet/IP device that translates EtherNet/IP to DF1 Full Duplex. You communicate with it using the RSLinx EtherNet/IP or Ethernet Devices drivers. The Lantronix UDS1100 is a "serial port encapsulator" that emulates a COM port over a TCP/IP connection. The "Com Port Redirector" software causes the UDS1100 on the network to appear like a local serial port on your computer. You communicate with it using the RSLinx RS-232 Devices (DF1 Full Duplex) driver. You can make these work. You will need to be precise about the serial port framing and speed settings, and carefully troubleshoot your COM Redirector and Ethernet connectivity. For providing RSLinx connectivity to serial-only devices like MicroLogix 1200/1500, the Lantronix and other serial port redirectors are fine, but as you've seen they are not as easy to use as the Rockwell-specific device.

I'm new to the whole DF1 communication over Ethernet idea. We've used digiOne's at other plants and we also have digi port servers for our SCADA app. Would you mind walking me through setting one of these up slowly? I didn't go with the digiOne's because since it's such low priority they didn't want to spend the money to make it easy on me. Thanks for the info!

What's interesting about the Lantronix single-port device servers, the A-B 1761-NET-ENI, and the Digi One products is that they represent three career stages of the same guy. Start by posting what you have done already. Post the configuration of the MicroLogix serial ports. Post the configuration of the UDS1100 serial and Ethernet ports. Post the configuration of the COM Port Redirector software. Describe the cabling between the MicroLogix and the UDS1100. Think of the UDS1100 as a "remote serial port" for your computer. It's easy to set up a local RSLinx DF1 Full Duplex connection to a MicroLogix, right ? The trick is that you're not using COM1 or COM2 with RSLinx, but rather a virtual COM port represented by the COM Redirector software. The COM Redirector software and the UDS1100 scoot the serial data across the Ethernet network and send it out the UDS1100's physical RS232 port.

So if I read this right, I can set up the com port redirector to send data destined for COM122 to the UDS1100 physical rs-232 port. I set up rslinbx DF-1 driver for COM122. And all is kosher.

And if this is right, can I set up a port redirector on our FactoryLink server and on my PC to allow for data logging and program changes?