1. 1. Elect Your Favorite SCADA & give your comments

• RSVIEW32, SE & ME
    • WINCC
    • cimplicity
    • IFIX
    • Citech
    • Others
    • Wonderware

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

38 posts in this topic

Hi, I vote Wonderware in first place, Citect & cimplicity in second, then RS view , Ifix, Eclipse E3,....

Wonderware, iFix, ICONICS, Lookout are mine. Doesn't anyone use Lookout?

I vote for Wonderware because this is my main tool for over 4 last years, but it is rather expensive for simple solution. Also I'd like to draw attention to Aspic/AspicMP of Merz (www.merz-sw.com) - cheap and good-enough SCADA, good and quick personal support.

Wizcon. Aaaaargh. I really, really dislike it. Each to their own I can accept but InTouch and Citect are my favourites.

So I have been trying a few different ones, in the not so distant past.... I voted AB just because I know it and can play with it But this is my review... RSView: Very good, Pro's...easy to use and configure, Con's...Non AB PLCs are/can be a pain to get set up, Web NOT included, I just spec out a machine and requested it as the HMI software and CompactLogix as the PLC Wonderware: Good, Pro's...easy to use and configure and a good selection of PLC's are in the drivers, Con's...Not many, good package just like View better Indusoft: Good, Pro's...easy to configure, Free 40 hr trial, Web included, good price, just got it last week so I will up date later if the finished product is good....37hrs left IFix: I hate it...But its a old version 2.5 Opto22: Good support, not the easiest one to use, I have only used with opto server's and opto i/o's so I can't comment on if it would work with other PLC (if you consider opto a PLC)

if you are outside the us, citect is a good choice. there is not much in the way of support for it in the us because it isnt used much here. i chose wonderware. i'm guessing most people choose the app they are most familiar with, so i'm sure it will be a biased poll.

I voted RSView. One poster inquired about FactoryLink. I've used it extensively in the past and I have been through the USData training courses for it. That said, I don't recommned it unless you already have an installed base. Its the least user friendly and USData still hasn't figured out that their pricing structure that nickels and dimes you to death over every feature is why they are no longer the market leader they once were. If you are switching from RSView to FactoryLink I can just about guarantee you are going to hate it unless you are some kind of masochist. I've used CiTect and I disagree about North American support, I haven't noticed that there is a support deficiency. There are also lots of CiTect integrator around. Its probably my second choice. I only used Wonderware once a very long time ago. It was really easy to set up. I'm sure its a top notch package. Edited by Alaric

Adroit - my current favorite as it was easy to get setup and has a good price structure for small projects, also has very good PLC driver support. Has nice built in features like Web support and auto graphic publish to JPEG. Documentation is poor. Graphic development is similar to RSView. RSView - Is just way too expensive and has very poor 3rd party driver support, but is a good fit in an all AB environment. iFix, (Fix, Fix Demacs), Citect - old and tired, WinCC - Even more proprietary than RSView - just to dang hard to bother with.

I use (listed in order of preference)... Cimplicity - PROS: Pretty stable, easy to use, event driven compiled VB scripts run in own thread in the background, Cimedit / Cimview is good for maintenance personnel who want to do simple mods. CONS: Old VB implementation iFIX - PROS: True VBA, Dynamos. CONS: Dreadfully buggy, single thread for scripts, adjusting screen size after creation of document is like mission imposable. Tag database is woeful. Citect - just not right. Cant put my finger on it - I don't like many things, yet the things I don't like are not as infuriating as the things I dislike about iFIX. The Tag Debug dialog is a joke, the driver and tag setup is dreadful. Fix DMACS - yes, its old & past it, but still I have to use it occasionally. Dreadful. I despise it!

Hi, InTouch(Wonderware) wins hands down anyday as the most user friendly. then at a distant 2nd place should come Citect. I like Citect not so much that it is easy to use, rather for the number of new things I have learnt while using Citect. InTouch can be managed by kids; but knowing Citect means the capability to understand any SCADA package anywhere anytime. How come you have not listed WinCC, the Siemens' product. Keep a bucket of rotten eggs beside that to pelt it please. Even though it is not featured, its among the worst I've seen. Please also start a poll for the SCADA/HMI I hate!. Maybe the makers are influenced either to improve their product or else to reduce their prices!! Regards, Raj S. Iyer

I've found that the Labview crowd seem to be totally separate from the usual SCADA package people. That's strange because it don't seem fundamentally much different and users tend to regard different SCADA packages relatively indifferently beyond minor gripes. Can anyone comment on that?

Hi, I did program one or two FIX application few years ago. I did work only once with Intouch and Archestra (IAS) and did a lot of RSView ME and SE. Both Intouch and RSView SE have their bugs and need some patches to be applied once in a while... RSView may be worst for patches. Hopefully, RSView SE/ME Roll-up patch makes it easier now... But on a Developper point of View, I prefer from far the RSView SE/ME Package (V4.0 and now V5.0). You can easily develop and TEST with your Laptop running Win XP pro the whole RSVSE Client/Server Apps. Compared to Archestra, which is better if you have Win Server with SQL server etc... RSVSE is using VBA as the Scripting Language... Not a Proprietary Scripting. In RSView SE. You can easily develop Standard POP UP Screens and open many instances of a particular one. You don't need a Special Function and Temporary Memory HMI Tag that allow only one occurence of a Popup to be opened at a time (Intouch). In RSVSE, One text Object or Caption of a Button object can have multiple lines (Word Wrap) (Try to do that with Intouch...) In RSVSE, I managed to build a Popup screens that shows a list of Motor or Valve Interlocks and their Status according to a List of Tags and their descriptions residing on an MS Access Database located on the Server. The Interlock information’s for all Motors and Valves have previously been generated automatically using a script that scans the RSLogix Tag Export CSV Files... So no need to type anything... Did not yet figure out how we can do this with Intouch. I mean, I know you can manage SQL Database with Intouch and their Scripting, but can you have PLC address information stored in SQL Database table and their Description and have Intouch to Read Status of these PLC Addresses (stored in database tables not HMI Tags...)? RSView SE allows to Export/Import All Screens to XML file so you can achieve global changes in animations, static object etc... RSView SE allows to use Direct Addressing... No need to use HMI Tags. And now with version 5 of RSView SE, used with a ControlLogix V16, no need to use HMI Tags for Alarming... RSView SE could be a better package though if: - There would be some VBA scripting available on the Server side not only client. - Client Key files, Derived Tags files, Event Files, Data Log configuration files would be Text files, not unreadable proprietary format... At least, they have Parameter and macro files that are Text files... - They would include Screen's VBA in their XML Export (And import it afterward as well). Well it looks like I'm a Rockwell Representative. Believe me I AM NOT. Regards, Yves Levesque Edited by AEI232