Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bob O

Laptop IP

13 posts in this topic

It seems now days that I am changing my IP address on my laptop between a couple different addresses depending on what I am doing. I think I read somewhere that there was something out there or maybe you needed to write the code that by clicking it you could toggle between IP addresses. Can this be done and if so could someone explain or point me in the right direction. Thanks, Bob O.

A certain amount of this depends on your Laptop OS.

Some machines, I've had to toggle between two or three different IP static IP addresses. I just made two or three copies of this VBS script with the IP address I wanted. When I wanted to change, I double click them to change them, and change back to dynamic IP or fixed mode. See if this will work for you. ip_toggle.zip

Nice one Chako!! Put it up at the Usefull stuff topic! Have to switch IPs a lot and always been screwing around with netsh command, because programs like Netswitcher are nice but cost $$ and have too much options for me.

Bob I am on XP Pro. Thanks Chako. I'll give it a try.

You don't know how many times I've wished I had exactly that tool! Thanks Chako!!

Well...I didn't know it would be so popular. I just create three different ones. One for home network, one for work network, and one for PLC. I double click them when I want it to update an IP address. Of course you can do it the long way too. CONTROL PANEL > NETWORK CONNECTIONS > LOCAL AREA NETWORK > PROPERTIES > TCPIP > yada yada yada...but who wants to do that when you can just double click....

That's what I've always done in the past. However, in my current position, I provide support for as many as 50 different locations world wide. I don't always remember what the config needs to be from plant to plant -- or even different subsystems within the same plant. This appears to be a great way of managing this -- just make a different one for each location where I need to connect!

I just downloaded it and gave it a try, excellant tool. I second the recommendation that this be added to the Useful stuff thread.

I use this guys little app. Works pretty good. Oh and I use it on XP even though he says it only works in 2000. Edited by glaverty

Cool app - if you're always going between the same 2 or 3, you could bind multiple addresses to the same adapter. This typically works fine, but has been known to be the culprit of strange networking issues with old industrial equipment. Be ready to bind back a single address to the adapter if you see weirdness...

You could just make a couple batch (*.bat) files with notepad with some IP config commands. Easy and Free!!

Tried downloading the tool, but the installer fails as it can't find the files.. Anyone has the full install for this ?