Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
David Nelson

ftp help

6 posts in this topic

hiya folks decided to download the ftp server program from the thread with all the useful programs.i just can not get it to work. my setup is: ISP MODEM > LINKSYS ROUTER> PC i have set up port fowarding for this program and the ip adress to the modem is the ip adress i am trying to use to access from the internet but have still had no sucess. ex.ip adress 12.34.56.78:21/folder any info on using this on a home network would be great thanks guys

David, Can you access the FTP server from the same machine or another on the same side of the network (subnet)? Try ftp://127.0.0.1/folder. This step is KEY! If you can the next easy reality check is to set up that machine as the DMZ host in your router under the "advanced" tab. This will forward ALL incoming requests. Keep in mind that from the outside you will be addressing the WAN address of the Linksys router. Port forwarding should specify the port and (internal) IP address that it's going to. I can help you troubleshoot it over the Internet (gotomeeting) if you still can't get it to work.

thanks for your reply Nathan. i checked and using the adress above i CAN acess the server from my computer! i will check into the dmz for my router and see whats up there. thanks again

also tried port fowarding and setting up the DMZ and disabling my firewall.......still no acess from net, says windows cant acess the folder but i am pretty sure the spelling of the adress is correct...? Edited by David Nelson

Good. Make sure that your FTP server on the illegal (non-routable) NAT address (probably 192.168.?.?) has a static address assigned (not DHCP). Then make sure that the port forward is port 21 (FTP) and that it goes to the right internal address, 192.168.?.?. Then, from the outside, make sure you're using ftp://LINKSYS_WAN_IP:21 You shouldn't need DMZ, that's just another step in troubleshooting b/c it'll forward all ports.

You've disabled any Windows or Norton personal firewalls? With that computer set as the DMZ host try pinging it across the 'net. "ping LINKSYS_WAN_IP". Nothing else comes to mind. I don't mind checking it out over http://www.gotomeeting.com if you'd like.