Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
glennlee

SLC 5/03 RS-232 Communications

9 posts in this topic

Hi All! I am new to the SLC 5/03. I upgraded the one I have to the latest firmware today. The question is: How do I change the Baud-rate for the serial port? I can't seem to get past 1200. What protocol in RSLinx would give me a better connection?

Can't give you screen shots right now but the procedure is as follows: 1. Go Online with your SLC 5/03 at 1200 baud with RSlogix 500. 2. Place the SLC in Program mode. 3. Under Channel Properties change the baud rate of Channel 0 to 9600, 19200 or 38,400 whichever you prefer. Note when the change occurs you will lose communication. 4. Now open rslinx and configure drivers. 5. Select your DF-1 driver and use autoconfigure to let Linx change its speed to 9600, 19200 or 38400. 6. Go back to RSlogix and reconnect at your new speed. Ask if you run into issues.

On thing, I think the fastest the SLC5/03 can go is 19200

Thanks SLC Man and TW I was away from work so I was going from memory. I know 5/04 does 38400 was unaware 5/03 was limited to 19200.

19200 is the max, and your advice worked. Thanks. Warmest Regards.

Glad to Help. Communications and RSlinx is probably one of the hardest things for AB newbie to learn. Even we "old" pros pull out hair from time to time.

Didn't the 5/03 get the baud rate increase in the new series like the 5/04 and 5/05?

I have the newest RSLogix 500 and I JUST today upgrade the old 5/03 I had bought on Ebay a year or so ago to the latest firmware: OS302 C FRM 10. RSLogix and RSLinx only allowed for 19.2 and I am happy with that. (I did get spoiled with ethernet on an RSLogix 5000 job though) PS: I got the HSCE2 working. Now I am disaapointed to learn that the CPU will not let me do ON-LINE edits: I have to switch to PROGRAM mode to do updates on-line!