Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rusty-programmer

90-30 interface advice wanted!

10 posts in this topic

It's some time since I worked on 90-30 and I want to know the best options for connecting to the plc. I recall using LM90 and then this being superseded by VersaPro. Connection was via the serial port of the laptop. My hardware is a newish Toshiba running Windows XP. Only available ports are USB. am I on to a loser right from the start?

VersaPro has been superseded by Proficy Machine Edition. I have successfully used an inexpensive Radio Shack USB/serial converter to communicate between my laptop and a 90-30. There are plenty of converters available. Results vary among different brands of converters and computers. The Radio Shack converter that works on my Dell may not work on your Toshiba.

Who supplies Proficy Machine Edition and is it available as a download?

Proficy Machine Edition is GE Fanuc's name for its current version of PLC programming software. It is compatible with all PLCs that GE Fanuc has offered since the introduction of the Series 90. That includes the 90-20, 90-30, 90-70, Series 90 Micro, VersaMax, VersaMax Micro and Nano, Rx3i, and Rx7i. You can import PLC programs created with VersaPro or Logicmaster into Machine Edition. You buy it from the same distributor from whom you buy your GE Fanuc PLC hardware. When you install it on your computer, it will run for four days without licensing. After that, you need to uninstall/reinstall to get another four days.

I think you are in good shape. We use both Lm90 and VersaPro. We use the same cable from PC' serial port to power supply of PLC. Of couse, VersaPro is a window environment but if you know Lm90, you shouldn't have big trouble to use VersaPro. Only thing is you can't import LM90 program into VersaPro. I saw some topic on web that is talking about converting Lm90, but I have not tried that. Mike

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. You most assuredly can import a program originally written with LM90 into VersaPro. LM90 can not open a VersaPro program. Once you have downloaded the program to the PLC using VP, it is no longer possible for LM90 to monitor or modify that program. However, you could use LM90 to download the original LM90 program to the PLC. Edited by Steve Bailey

Sorry to be the bearer of sad news, but PME does not do 90-20's. And you may need to update some of the oldest CPU's Edited by RussB

OMG, how am I going to break that to all those 90-20 users!!

No wonder I couldn't get this thing to work right!!!!