Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BobLfoot

Internet Explorer 7

35 posts in this topic

Recently had a link pop up and "invite" me to upgrade to IE7. I must say I was impressed by tabbed browsing. And the RSS feeds and configurable hoimepage with my ISP now is cool. Reccommend you check it out.

blah.....been there done that with FireFox for well over a year now ........

As you won't be getting any popups with that browser, I'd like to invite you to upgrade to Firefox version 2, which is now available, unless you've already done it.

Microsoft change how it authenticates apparently with IE7 so use caution before upgrading. Some servers may not work as they did before. Also there is no going back. Once you upgrade to IE7 there is no going back

It's a Microsoft product, so the only place it works right is on Microsoft IIS servers. Microsoft won the browser war years ago when they gave it away and all but destroyed Netscape. Now for 2 years Opera and Firefox have been breaking in, so Microsoft finally sees the need to make an upgrade. More people need to force Microsoft's hand more often if we're ever going to get good quality stable low cost small installation size software out of them.... Go Google and Firefox... cut the Microsoft monster off at the knees!

Yeah, it's about time they added tabbed browsing! I Second supporting firefox...

I had been using the Beta IE7 release for a while now and liked it a lot. I recently updated to the latest release then started getting this annoying redirect to a microsoft "runonce" page on IE7 startup. Finally had to add some registry entries to get rid of the problem. In the end, I really like IE7!

I'm sure I'll hate Microsoft for awhile, then forget how crappy their old products were and start using IE7. Pretty soon I'll be totally happy with it and forget about the older versions. That's how it's gone with all of their other packages... Kind of reminds me of my NT 4 MCSE text - the picture illustrated that even UNIX machines could communicate with "Microsoft TCP/IP". It wasn't a year earlier when MS OSs shipped with NetBUI and they didn't promote TCP/IP. A similar illustration depicted NT servers talking to Novell machines over "Microsoft IPX/SPX"...humm.

Oh, btw, I forgot to answer the original question. No, I haven't tested IE7 yet. I don't even have IE6 on this computer, nor IE5. Microsoft stopped releasing IE for Mac OS X at IE5.5something. And that last version fails to install under Mac OS X 10.4...

So what you running? Firefox. I'm thinking about trying Firefox out

I'm a true blue FireFox man, been using it for a looooong time now, and I'll never go back.

Does anyone run both? Or is it one of those things where one modifies half of the components you need for the other?

Firefox. And technically, there's nothing stopping me from going back to IE on Windows. Except spam, popups and similar shoot (remember IE7 won't come to Win2k, Win98 etc), I also struggle with missing tabs, and far too many options in the menus. Bad web standards compliance on top of that doesn't help either, nor the inavailability of the browser on alternative platforms (I run Windows, Mac OS X, Linux and Solaris, so far, and I'd prefer using the same application for each purpose on all of them, if possible). Some of these issues have indeed been fixed with IE7, but on the other hand, the skin they're using looks horendous. Please, use the theming support built-into Windows! I don't want all my apps to look nice on their own, but all totally different. The overall result is a really crappy look. And sad to say, the worst offender is Microsoft themselves... So, although I technically could go back, my head would hurt so much I just won't do it unless for a single site that I just have to access. And then I'll go back to FF directly after that... Edited by TERdON

Ok just wanted to make sure. I remember the browser wars between Netscape and Microsoft where if you seemed to open one it would mess up the other. I'll download it and give it a try Thanks TW www.twcontrols.com

I use both at work, some of the company stuff ony works in IE.

I downloaded it, pretty nice. My scroll button isn't worked is the only thing so far Oh, and my ISpell is gone. What was the checker you used Ken?

If you need ISpell what would I use Downloaded it too.. everything seems to work. Like FF too but I work on a lot public PCs and then its useless to have it for those few hours a week at my own PC. Besides the gf can't get used to it LOL perhaps thats the main reason

You should buy her one of her own then Found the spell check. It is just turned off by default. Works more like MS Word putting those red lines below it

You need to check out some of the extensions for FireFox. Some of them are very useful. These are the ones on my work laptop, I have many more on my home laptop.

Wow there are tons of extensions for Firefox. Thanks Ken The biggest problem I am having is that I must look at the top of the page at the tabs to jump from site to site instead of the bottom windows. It will take a little getting used to.

If you install the Tab Mix Plus extension, you can have the tabs at the bottom, similar to Excel.

Tabs at the top are fine and actually make more sense since all other menu items are up there. Just need to get it through my head

Ken, right now when I goto post I have to right click the posting area and click "Spell check this field" Is there anyway to make this the default?

Don't know. I use the Google tool bar for my spell checking. After a post is finished, I just click on the spell check.

Ok I didn't download that. Thanks