Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ryno

RS232 to USB

10 posts in this topic

I have a laptop that does not have a serial port, only USB's. I own a 9-pin serial port cable and have seen adapters that allow the RS232 to be connected to the USB port. I'm not sure what that would mean from a software side or how that would impact the driver setup. The purpose in doing this is to try to program a PLC with the laptop.

there are different types of adapters out there - but the one that seems to work the best for most people is the Keyspan brand ... I think the model number is USA-19A or something like that ... it costs about $30.00 ... I've got one that works VERY WELL ... in fact, I have less trouble with the adapter than I do with the built in serial port on one of the clone laptops that I use ...

As Ron said http://www.keyspan.com/products/usb/usa19hs/homepage.spml

I have on order an adapter from the 9 pin to USB. I herd from one person it may not work well with RSLogix - not sure why but I will post how it worked when it gets in and I give it a try.

some work better than others ... did you order the Keyspan - or some other brand? ...

Be aware that certain PLCs that use a proprietary communication link requiring an adaptor beteween the serial port and the PLC programming port (such as ABs 1747-PIC) are not compatible with USB to serial converters.

Alaric is correct and If possible get a USB adaptor which comes with software that allows you to control the memory and IRQ settings of your adaptor. Some old programs will function only with COMs 1 to 4 at the IBM AT Standard defined settings. THis is not a problem if your adaptor software is robust enough to mimic the IBM At parameters. Only a few out there that do though. REally depends on the PLC you want to connect to. I'd recommend a post in the forum for that family of PLC.

I had the same issue but instead bought a card from "Quatech".You get a RS-232 port without trouble. I have never had trouble with linx ,panelviews, drive software or weld timers.

It was a different brand, I believe generic. Ebay auction ( http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...N%3AIT&rd=1 ). It did come with software but I haven't had a chance to get it running yet.