Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bob1371

IAI RoboCylinder

7 posts in this topic

Hello Today I attended a 5 hour seminar on the RoboCylinder and was quite impressed with it. Appears to be a very robust product with a great price and feature set. We got a nice little training package complete with software, cables, I/O box, and a 100mm stroke cyl for $150. and they even bought lunch. Just wondering if anyone has used these and what do you think of them? thanks, Bob http://www.robocylinder.com/

Used a similiar product 10 years ago and was not impressed with longevity or robustness. I hope the technology has improved in 10 years. Just be aware about how to troubleshoot and maintian it once in place. Almost any homegrown mechanic can repalce an air cylinder, takes a trained electrician to troubleshoot and replace something like this. Just my $0.02.

I use Intelligant Actuator (RoboCylinder) all the time, I tend to agree and say it's a good product. I have several sample codes uploaded. http://forums.mrplc.com/index.php?dlcategory=41 Click on the IAI sample code.

Thanks for the input guys...I am going to put the one I have thru its paces for a while and see how it holds up. Bob

I have used then in two seperate applications. Once with a pick and place electric bender the other with a mig welding application where it only needed straight welds. I have not replaces either one and know that the welder has been running for 3 years with no problems.

I've used IAI cylinders in a couple of projects now. Even did some fancy serial interfacing to read and write position data. The last project used the high force cylinders. So far the customer has been very pleased and has had no problems.

I was using same thing from AlphaGear ("ternary drive"). Yes, it worked but I didn't like it a bit. Next time I have to use something like that I will definitely try hard to convince customer to consider something else (like IAI for example).