Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Zoran Mihajlovic

CX-P on PDA

10 posts in this topic

Hay, Are somebody success instaling CX-P on some PDA or similar ? If so on whitch model? Thank's, bay

Unless CX-P is written and compiled for the target PDA platform (e.g. PXA270 for some of the HP iPAQs) it won't run on a PDA (a PDA has a totally different processor and architecture => different binary code for the CPU opcodes). Also, PDA's have a very small screen size so using a PDA to program a PLC would be a frustrating and time consuming exercise, especially in ladder logic. However there are some functions of the CX programmer package that do fit well with a PDA. For information (so that you know what can be achieved) we are currently involved in a project that has created a PDA application to perform the functions below. The system operates using Bluetooth wireless communications at 57,600 bits per second on CJ and CS series PLCs and runs on an HP iPAQ PDA platform (it can be recompiled for other Pocket PC or Smartphone platforms). This was specifically developed to meet the unique needs of particular customer but is now being extended to provide more generalised functions. It is actually proving extremely useful and clearly has wider application (e.g. backup/restore of PLC programs). Current Functionality in Specification: - bit/set reset of memory words (W memory at present but could include others) - change of memory word values in memory (W memory at present but could include others) - extraction of all or part of the D memory and saving to the PDA's compact flash SD card The backup/restore function has been mooted and is next on the list. The entire program is written in .NET specifically for mobile platforms. Edited by Eric Apperley

I am particularly interested in this type of functionality. Is there a place that I can find out more information on this? I'd be very interested in something that could interface using wifi through a wireless router and wifi card into a PLC, and to be able to monitor the status of certain bits and bitwords in something similar to the "memory view" screen in CX-P. Also it would be nice to be able to adjust values of certain bitwords. If anything like this is available please let me know.

To be honest at this stage I haven't researched available commercial products but if it is clearly going to "fill a niche" in industry then it would be worth adding functionality. Interest is growing around here and I have just been asked to expand its capabilities (e.g. data logging). The concept can be ported to other PLC brands as long as the serial protocol details are readily available. Performance is quite acceptable - one can transfer 32767 x 16-bit words of DM memory and save the data to the iPAQ's SD card in approx 70 seconds (depending on your PLC CPU settings), and that's with the PDA's upper limitation on bit rate and ASCII format transfers. For information, this project arose out of a situation where a number of PLC-based machines were to be installed in a factory without any guarantee of a network linking the PLCs. Data in the PLC's memory needed to be permanently archived and there was concern about the wear-and-tear of continuously removing and re-inserting the flash memory cards, thereby effectively wearing out the CF sockets on the PLCs. We've therefore provided a wireless transfer and in the process incorporated some control aspects as well. The basic specs of the engineering project are as follows: a) application to run on an HP iPAQ h2210 (or similar) Pocket PC 2003 and communicate with CJ/CS series PLCs via Bluetooth a) provide a means of extracting and saving critical from a non-networked PLC system (i.e. data logging files or data) in EXCEL CSV format b) allow system system "tweaking" in the factory environment by providing facilities to toggle bit states or change word values in the Work area memory (e.g. for setting up variable speed drives, etc.) c) extract files from the PLC's compact flash card for archiving. I haven't developed WiFi networking yet for this system but in theory there's no reason why it couldn't be done. In your situation one possibility might be to put a Bluetooth dongle on one of the PLC's RS232 ports and access the PLC network via the serial port via Bluetooth. Send me an e-mail message via the mailbox system in the forum if you have specific questions or suggested requirements. Additional development effort might be justified if I can get enough interest from others. In the interim I expect to complete the development and testing of the current version over the next two weeks. Eric

Hey Eric, Thanks for responding, I wanted to share some more information and ask a few more questions but it looks like I your email isn't set up for the forums. I searched your name under the members page but there is no "email" button like the other members have. Can you set it up, or tell me what I'm doing wrong? Thanks,

Chris, Sorry, it wasn't your fault - I had the settings wrong. It should now be possible to e-mail me via the forum. Apologies for the inconvenience. Eric

Thenk's you all for informacion. Sims too me thet we need wayt for some time for work with PDA on CX-P.

It depends on what you really need to do. Programming using ladder logic on a PDA just isn't feasible due to the limited screen size and the tiny "soft" keyboard that you have to tap with a stylus, but program upload/download is and we will be adding that feature this month. If its monitoring, changing or extracting data then we can do that now. Working with files (copying files to/from the card, deleting files on the card and formatting the compact flash card is something that's also currently underway. Think of the PDA as a portable terminal/screen for diagnostics, setup, alignment of machines, etc.

Thet is something I wont too do, and be able too change some instrukcion in program line also. Thenk's for all informacion.