Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
slcman

Faster way for search input and output with controllogix

5 posts in this topic

Hi, I want to search I/O in my ladder. I can't search local:0.0DATA or something like that....With RSLogix 500 I was able to search a IO ( find all o:2/3) for slot 2 output 3. Can I make similar search with RSLogix 5000??? thanks

SLCman you are suffering from what I gently call "failure to convert syntax" The similiar search that you are looking for is called a Cross Reference in the RS5000 lingo and it is much cleaner and "neater" than the SLC cross ref. Try the following: 1. Go to your Controller Organizer {If not visible find it under View Menu} 2. Double Click on the Controller Tags to bring up a list of all Controller tags. 3. Select a tag to monitor like Local:2:0.Data[0].0 4. Right Click on this tag and select cross reference. 5. This will bring up the cross reference window. It will show every use of that tag in the program. If you adjust column size you will also find a very neat column called Destructive. If this column is yes then at that location the value of the tag can change. 6. Double Clicking on the entry in the Cross ref window takes you too it in the program. The Cross Ref window is still open so you can use the window pull down memory to return to it and select another use of the tag. Let me know how this works for you.

I have a couple of questions to add about searching. These I think are more limitations in RsLogix software than questions for someone to answer. 1) This one is for AB: Why can't I paste an address into the crossreference name using CTRL+V? I can right click and select paste. 2) Searching for text in a tag name or description. What is the key to this, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't or it only returns some results and not all. 3)Why can't I cross reference using a partial tag name or text? 4) Why can't the find all search return a nice window like the crossreference window instead of the search results tab which has a bunch of extra information that I don't really care about like the searching section. This may be handy for debugging but not very usefull for quickly finding what I'm looking for. 5) Where can we send a wishlist for future versions of Rockwell software now that they removed their online forum. My $.02 Thanks, Wulfgar

Wow thanks a lot! Now I'll be able to troubleshoot! Thanks a lot

Glad to help. I used Toshiba and Omron PLC's for almost 15 years before working with my first AB PLC. have spent the last 6 years working with AB. Started with PLC5 and SLC and then CLGX. Have found that often the transition from PLC/SLC to CLGX is rough for a lot of people. AB/Rockwell could definitely do better on transition training and documents.