Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nserasmus

CJ1M vs CQM1H

10 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, I'm new to Omron plc's my current company has a few CQM1H models, recently we replaced some of the old machines and the manufacturer wants to use the newer CJ1M models. Any reason why we should change? We still have a number of other machines running on the CQM1H type, and I would prefer to stick to one type, reducing spare part to keep in store. Will Omron be moving away from the older model soon, or is the manufacturer trying to make an extra on his sale? Thanks for your views. Nico

My understanding is that the CQM1H will eventually be discontinued. This platform has been around (CQM1) since 1993. The CJ1M hardware should be about the same cost as CQM1H, and has a LOT more capability. I would suggest that you look at moving to the CJ1 platform on new projects.

The CQM1 is a good PLC but the CJ1 is a GREAT PLC. The CJ1 is the platform for the future. It has so much more capability. If you have an older version of CX-Programmer, the CJ can be programmed with it, but some functions are not available. I recommend you get CX-ONE and see just where OMRON is going with PLC's and automation.

Thanks for your views... maybe I should add a little detail to explain the bigger picture. After starting in this job about a year ago I had to give management (already a bunch of pro mechanics and anti electronics) the gloomy picture on the upgrading/replacement of all our Siemens S5 plc's ( 26 controllers) a few months ago. Up until now they are thinking Siemens - ga, ptoe, BAD! Omron - ok?. Now that we are in the 5 year replacement phase of this series of machineryfrom FMC foodtech and would require replacement again in 5 years time, so if possible I would like to cut myself a bit of slack, if the old CQM1H model will be around that long, and then do the Omron's (14 in total). Sparing some anti automation remarks.

I have not been able to find the published date for discontinuing the CQM1H. Even if it is discontinued, Omron will typically support product through repair for at least 5 years. If you pick up a few spare parts, I would think you should be fine. I just know that at some point the CQM1H will be discontinued, and thought you might want to make the jump now. But I can understand your situation and if the equipment will be replaced in another 5 years, you should be good to go. Hope this will help.

Thanks QTsupport, Being stuck in the middle of the ocean, having a 2-week delay in the quickest spare, we have a propper stock of almost everything, this will also give me a chance to work an a safe reduction on stock levels. Now I can sleep peacefully again tonight.

Hope you get a good nights sleep!!

The CJ is supposed to be a 20 year platform as is the CS. The CQM1 probably will be available for a while. Usually there is a good level of spare parts in the system. That and the St. Charles repair center is top notch. BTW, you are on a BEAUTIFUL island in the middle of the Indian Ocean.

Thanks OIDMBTRTECH I need reminders like that, one tend to get caught in the day to day rush of things, missing how privileged we are to call this paradise home. Thanks for the advise as well, it is highly appreciated.

Hello, 1st a few thougts: PLC is experiencing same transformation as IT world is suffering, so... if you put 1 PLC today for sure will not last 20 years. 10 Years is in my opinion a realistic date (unless your machine will not evolve for 10 years). CQ Family is an old family, therefore my recomendation is do not invest in old technology. CJ familly is the one that will survive, therefore I suggest you to move to this family. In parallel let's say that this family is smaller, faster, plenty of features, and cheaper! (same happens if you compare your actual computer with a 10 years old IBM/AT). Regarding discontinuation, I never heard about this, but notice that OMRON is one of the biggest Automation players in the world, therefore you'll be able to get spare parts, for sure.