Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bob O

Blue Screen and reload OS

6 posts in this topic

I hope I don’t have to reload XP Pro on my home computer but if I have to what software would the forum members recommend to back up all my software and file so that I could reload them once the OS is reloaded or is this even possible? If this is possible, will my activations transfer? I have started to get the blue screen on a regular basis and I am trying to resolve that before reloading. Thanks, Bob O.

Have you tried returning to a restore point? Or just the system recovery console? You can "repair" the installation without wiping everything out using the installation CD. I would definitely try this first. Microsoft keeps track of the activations and will only allow two activations on the same PC before you have to call and wait on hold for half a day to get a new number.

ianbuckley, I didn't know about the repair option, I will look into that to night, I hope. Thanks, Bob

blue screen normally tells what the problem is, such as wrong or missing driver for some hardware etc. this may happen if one changes partition order or number of partitions etc. these things belong to fixable software related scenarios. non-fixable would mean need for fresh install. hardware faults (processor, memory, motherboard, ...) will require replacement of faulty device.

panic, This is what was displayed the last time [this morning] *** Stop: 0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0x80550AE2, 0xB59fa9bc, 0x0000000) I search this on goggle but came up short. Thanks

those are just memory locations. you should check to see if any file names show up etc. http://briefcase.pathfinder.gr/download/ar...5686/0/bsod.jpg