Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
IanW

Transfering Integer Array From RSView to PLC

2 posts in this topic

Hi... I'm new to the forum, so Hi to everyone ! I am also new to PLC and SCADA programming and would like a little advice if possible. I have a networked Flexlogix PLC communicating with RSView Supervisory edition via the RSLinx OPC server. What I want to do is to be able to read a file with integer values in (say 100 values) into the SCADA program and send them to consecutive registers in the PLC. So far I have tested the OPC link by creating a SCADA screen with a numerical input box mapped to the first value in an array of integers on the PLC using the appropriate tag, then I read back the tag and display the value in a numerical display...this works fine I have also used a bit of VB code attached to a button to read in a text file containing integer values and then stored then after conversion from string to integer, but I cant seem to find a way to get the values from the VB code onto the PLC via the OPC server. Is it possible to access the OPC server from VB code ? I have found OLE and ActiveX components and wonder if it would be possible to import values directly from a spreadsheet ? Can a single tag be used to reference an array rather than just a single value ? Finally I wonder if there is a better/simpler way of acheiving what I am trying to do.......any hints or tips would be gratefully received ! Thanks in advance Ian

Hi Ian, What you might want to look at is using derived tags to read and write, instead of VB. As for directly accessing the OPC server from VB I dont see the use as you are already using an OPC client aka RSView. As far as my knowledge goes you would have to make a folder of the 100 tags and then either use 2 derived tag files one to read and one to write using 2 sets of dummy memory tags. Otherwise use 2 macros , one for read and one for write. Execute macros continuously or thru buttons. You can also use parameter passing or recipes, but they would probably not be required. Your need seems simple enough. You can also try programming the PLC to read or write to a dummy array, pointing thru RSView input. I have in the past used some permutations of these above mentioned methods to read / write array data using RSView. Let me know if you still need help on this.