Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
KTech

RSView32 and SteepleChase

4 posts in this topic

For several days now I have been attempting to create a valid tag in RSView32 to communicate with a OPC server from SteepleChase (VisualLogic). The industrial PC running the SteepleChase software is not running RSLinx. When I use OPC Test Cleint from RSLinx I am able to monitor the data in real time across the peer-to-peer Ethernet. However, any tag I configure in RSView shows to be invalid and will not read the data. Any ideas from anyone would certianly help! KTech Edited by KTech

I am at the end of my rope !! Someone out there is bound to have dealt with this sort of thing before. I believe that the syntax of my topic in RSView is off. I have tried everything that I can think of. Do any of you have any ideas???

Post an example of how your successful syntax was configured in the OPC Test Client, and also an example of an unsuccessful syntax in RSView32. If the OPC Test Client is on the same PC as RSView32, then RSView32 certainly should be able to see all the same data as the Test Client. I did find a Technote about "registering OPC servers on the local machine" on the RSI Knowbase. Go to support.rockwellautomation.com, bring up the Knowbase search, and find Document G29550158. Document P7973 also talks about Remote OPC and DCOM. In fact, go ahead and search on "RSView32" and "Remote OPC" as keywords. Does RSView32 ever give you an error message for the tags that are addressed to this remote OPC server ? Edited by Ken Roach

Ken, Thanks so much for the reply.... I agree, if the Test Client can get data, RSView should as well. The syntax on the test client was simple... In the OPC Server ID Text Box I just put \\Remote_computer_name, then clicked Browse and it found the VLC. I then typed in a tag name from the VLC and it captured the real time data with no problem. In RSView.... Node Setup under OPC Remote Server Server name= \\name_of_remote_pc we have also tried \\name_of_remote_pc\visuallogiccontroller and \\name_of_remote_pc\Steeple_Chase_Software.visuallogiccontroller.2 path is left blank in hopes that we could browse the multitude of tags from vlc I am away from the plant now and will not return until Tuesday... Oh yeah... DCOM is set up on both machines! Edited by KTech