Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
boardmaker

more data logging

6 posts in this topic

After reading Bob O post below about data logging I was wondering how far a person could take the information. We have an application where we would need to log and monitor a temperature for about 3 weeks. Then, at the end of cycle we would need to print out a graph of the period showing the 3 week trend. Is this possible with excel. For this would I need RSview32? I've never done much more than basic programming and I've never used RSview32 so I'm nervous about trying to tackle this. I really haven't used excel or access that much either since college and unfortunately my memory is fading. I have done some research on AB website about the plc pieces and parts I will need, but I dont feel confident about the data logging. I've looked at some of the downloads and they helped, but this really is my territory. OEM's over charge for this software setup and we would like to save the money. Any suggestions?

There are data loggers that log to flash memory and there are recorders that record either to paper or to flash memory. The data loggers are purchase items. Sometimes recorders can be rented for a month at a time. A device designed to make a recording might make your task easier. Yes, you can use the historian in an HMI program like RSView, but you've outlined the learning curve. Dan

If you have RSView32 software, i will have manual " how to connect RSView23 with Excel" installing software.You try again, please. I hope you will be successed. Edited by ChanThien

You could do it in excel. Let's say that you already have the instantaneous value display in a spreadsheet . You would need to write some code (Visual basic) that would move that value to another location at a regular time interval, next time interval repeat the process , putting the data into the "next" cell. Over time you will have lots of cells with "snapshots" of the data. The problem is though, you need to make sure that excell (or whatever you choose) is running all the time.. thats where going to a commercial datalogger starts to make sense.

Hobo dataloggers from ONSETCOMPUTERS are something new I have been playing with. They have various models for tracking a multitude of events/temps/ etc etc www.onsetcomp.com The software can easily export to excel, where you can do whatever analysis u need to, even writing a small vba code etc... Im not affiliated in anyway, just something I came across, bought a few for work, and currently have 3 installed and logging various things..

Excel is good at generating static graphs (won't scroll, pan, or zoom like HMI graphs will), but getting data in via DDE is clunky at best, and patented, I believe. You would be better off with a historian type program. I would recommend FactorySQL to log the data into any SQL database (preferably a free one like MySQL) and FactoryPMI to pull up these graphs from any computer via a web browser (actually launches a Java application). I'd be happy to help you get started if you'd like. Edited by Nathan