Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bob O

Do I need RSVeiw32 to Log Data?

5 posts in this topic

A small company that we have do some work for us has asked for my help. They would like me to install and collect data from their equipment and log it . I have done this before at our plant were money is not much of a concern but this is a small company where I know it is. I have used RSView32 to log my data to both Excel and Access and do my reporting in Access. So, do I really need RSView32 for the logging or can RSLinx do the same or similar without too much effort and custom programming? Thanks, Bob

You can use RSLinx classic, but not the lite version. You need single-node, OEM or higher.

There are a few DDE examples in the download secton: http://forums.mrplc.com/index.php?dlcategory=3

You're overcomplicating it if it is just logging data. You don't need a PLC just to log data. A PLC is necessary for control. If they already have a PLC, that's a different matter. Plus, I would hesitate to add an AB PLC just for data logging. Mostly because with AB products, you may find something better, but you'd never pay more. If they already have an AB PLC, think "Ron Gage". His web site includes a C library to communicate DIRECTLY with the PLC without RS-Linx. I believe he already has a version with a data logger as well. Ron's business is specifically in doing exactly what you are trying to do and he wrote his library specifically because of the ridiculous cost that RS-Linx adds to a small project. If you want to use I/O modules but don't need the PLC, consider Acromag. They are very easy to work with (Modbus and Modbus/TCP) even with a PLC and reasonably priced for I/O. Since it is almost trivial to write PC code to read Modbus protocol (and there are lots of libraries available all over the internet), this is one "PLC-less" route. The nice part too is that if you later add a PLC, everything already speaks the universal language of PLC I/O, Modbus. Another route is to go to outright stand-alone data loggers intended for that purpose. Check out www.onsetcomp.com. The stuff is what I would call inexpensive and holds up in spite of the price tag. I've had very good experiences with their stuff. Think stuffing a small CT and a data logger down in the bottom of a starter as a quick and dirty data collector instead of running sensors, I/O cards, etc. Finally, you can always buy "data acquisition" equipment which is the third route for doing this kind of stuff. National Instruments is a big name because if for instance you are running your high energy nanosupercollider with a 1 billion gigawatt terawhatever, you'd probably go with them. They are in the scientific instruments world. But they're not the only player in town. Check out www.bb-elec.com in the data acquisition section. There are lots of devices and software available that are specifically PC-based for doing this.