POCKO

Q Series Modbus TCP module QJ71MT91 set up help req'd...

13 posts in this topic

Hi, I'm having some difficulty getting our Modbus TCP QJ71MT91 up and happily communicating to our other modbus slave devices. I can get it to work in slave mode using the default parameters, but we to use it as a mobdus master and also with a custom configuration. I have a tight time frame on this job and if possible I'd like your assistance on this matter. I'll give a brief below of our intended set up for the project and if you need me to elaborate on any of it please let me know. For the programming of the Q series PLC we have available both GX Developer V8.03 and GX IEC Developer V7.00. We have installed the GX Configurator and downloaded the latest intelligent function module for the QJ71MT91 modbus card. The card has passed all the harware tests as per the set up manual (the manual is article number =158847), and as mentioned earlier it has been working in slave mode from tests I have done. The QJ71MT91 will need to be our modbus master and ideally also able to operate as a slave (the manual mentions it can be a master and a slave simultaneously but doesn't give a set up path or example for this arrangement?) and it needs to control a slave that has a very large modbus table of modbus registers (they are also scattered across the full range of modbus addresses and not grouped). We want to map the following from the modbus side to Q PLC – SLAVE 1 DETAILS – ITEM = MTL8000 I/O INTERFACE (INTRINSICALLY SAFE INPUT / OUTPUT INTERFACE) IP ADDRESS = 10.1.1.201 COMMS METHOD = MODBUS TCP/IP MODBUS ADDRESS = 1 .....................................MODBUS ADDRESS............DESTINATION...........PLC I/O TYPE...............Q PLC ADDRESS.......CONTROL LEVEL -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- MODBUS COILS................000001-065536..............mapped to...............DISCRETE OUTPUT........Yxxxxx......................Read/Write MODBUS CONTACTS........100001-165536...............mapped to...............DISCRETE INPUTS.........Xxxxxx......................Read MODBUS INPUTS..............300001-365536...............mapped to...............ANALOG INPUTS...........Dxxxxx......................Read MODBUS HOLDING...........400001-465536...............mapped to...............ANALOG INPUTS...........Dxxxxx......................Read/Write MODBUS INPUTS..............300001-365536...............mapped to...............ANALOG INPUTS...........Dxxxxx......................Read/Write SLAVE 2 DETAILS – ITEM = WONDERWARE INTOUCH v9.5 SCADA SOFTWARE IP ADDRESS = 10.1.1.150 COMMS METHOD = MODBUS TCP/IP MODBUS ADDRESS = 1 .....................................MODBUS ADDRESS............DESTINATION...........PLC I/O TYPE...............Q PLC ADDRESS.......CONTROL LEVEL -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- MODBUS COILS................000001-065536..............mapped to...............DISCRETE OUTPUT........Yxxxxx......................Read/Write MODBUS CONTACTS........100001-165536...............mapped to...............DISCRETE INPUTS.........Xxxxxx......................Read MODBUS INPUTS..............300001-365536...............mapped to...............ANALOG INPUTS...........Dxxxxx......................Read MODBUS HOLDING...........400001-465536...............mapped to...............ANALOG INPUTS...........Dxxxxx......................Read/Write MODBUS INPUTS..............300001-365536...............mapped to...............ANALOG INPUTS...........Dxxxxx......................Read/Write If you have any example projects, intelligent function set up text files, or further info in regard to the set up and use it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time, Regards – Chris.

Chris, Post your question also here "tight time frame" most of us go to both places, but it may help http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/forumdisplay.php?f=2

Both slaves have the same ID ? Firstly, in modbus TCP/IP land slaves are called servers and masters are clients. Check the setup of the TCP port at both servers and client to be the same (502). Attached are 2 modbus test tools to simultate a client or server. Put your laptop on the same subnet and you can send and receive Modbus TCP messages. It is shareware but it is a fantastic tool to test Modbus connections. It can also connect serial. Download the Modbus TCP/IP implementation guide here at modbus.org. Hope this helps. ___Software_MODBUS___.zip
2 people like this

I have some example of the Modbus TCP/IP to an E-terminal for you, if you still need some. Edited by FNMdeJong

Hi and thanks for the reply. I'd love to get hold of the examples you have as this thing is really doing my head in! Feel free to attach the file to this thread, email them to me or i can give you access to my ftp site, i'm open to any method that suits you best. All the best, Regards - Chris. Edited by POCKO

Here's the example. QJ71MT91.zip
3 people like this

Thanks for the info, it seems to be what i'm after. I've been working on other parts of the project this week and hopefully i'll get a chance to do the set up the same as in the powerpoint presentation. The E-designer sample will be of use to me too as we have a few E1000 screens around the place and one will using modbus. I appreciate the help, Kind Regards - Chris.

Thanks guys, I got my Q02 &MT91 and E1070 working together with modbus TCP very well. I even got modbus I/O configured to MT91. Seems very fast, quite reliable and works through several ethernet switches. I do not have possibility to test with W-lan. I use GX-configurator MB. All this took only few minutes. Regards, Tmu
1 person likes this

Hi TMU, Can you please tell me if you are using it as Modbus Master? As this the mode I have had trouble with - in slave mode things are working fine. Also if you could be kind enough to forward the project you used it on, or even just a text dump of the MT91 intelligent function module set up it would be great. It be interested to look at your set up. Have a great day, Regards - Chris.

Yep, MT91 works as a master and I only have test it as a master, because we might need to use W-lan I/O and Modbus I/O is the way. I have type parameter by following example posted before. See previous example. It was great help to me. I think the whole set-up was too handy and only tricky thing was to count/select buffer memory to my I/O-output module. E-communication works OK with 4 connections according to example. Example is to GX-dev and I am planning to type FB's to IEC. PLS note, this is only my pre-test and feel free to develope this and share results. One thing I found, it is possible to access to PLC via MT91, if using ethernet-communication setting (=>FAST). Perhaps there is autoUDP-port in MT91 module like E71-module. Tmu MT91.zip

On 8/8/2006 at 10:37 AM, FNMdeJong said:

Here's the example. QJ71MT91.zip

How do you see the file?

On 8/27/2006 at 2:11 AM, tmu said:

Yep, MT91 works as a master and I only have test it as a master, because we might need to use W-lan I/O and Modbus I/O is the way. I have type parameter by following example posted before. See previous example. It was great help to me. I think the whole set-up was too handy and only tricky thing was to count/select buffer memory to my I/O-output module. E-communication works OK with 4 connections according to example. Example is to GX-dev and I am planning to type FB's to IEC. PLS note, this is only my pre-test and feel free to develope this and share results. One thing I found, it is possible to access to PLC via MT91, if using ethernet-communication setting (=>FAST). Perhaps there is autoUDP-port in MT91 module like E71-module. Tmu MT91.zip

can I have the .zip file? please sent to me