Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lazy

Panel Labels

21 posts in this topic

Hi All I am looking for a bit of beginners help... I am currently starting to build quite a few small panels but I have to purcahse the labels from a larger panel builder. I am looking for some reccomendations for a computerised label printer. Obviously being a small company I am looking for a reasonably priced unit. Thanks all

Not sure what type of labels you're looking for but we've just invested in a printer from partex. This machine does most things from wire markers to component labeling, cable identifications etc. The machine uses various tapes, tubes, heatshrinks etc. for loads of marking tasks. The only thing it doesn't do is label plates for the panel doors. For this we use a local signmaker. Hope this helps.

http://cableorganizer.com/label-printer/

what kind of labels? warning labels for panel door (voltage, machine name, serial number...)? cable and wire lables? ring labels for buttons and lamps? lockout labels and tags? either way contact both Panduit and Brady. they will have everything your need...

I have the Dymo Rhino Pro 5000 and while the price is god and you can use it for more that just labeling wires it is not good to mark a lot of wires. The backing is 2 piece and kind of a pain to peel and stick the wire markers on.

Hi Guys Thanks for the help... I should have been more clear I was actually after a lbel machine for panel door labels...i.e. Labeling pusbuttons, indicator lamps etc. on the panel door. Thanks again

my company uses autocad connected to a hermes (new hermes) engraving machine. they can be very pricey to purchase and service. a sevice call can cost up to $500 just to come out to look at it. i would look into other engraving brands if i were you. i may recommend for now just ordering your signs elsewhere until your company sees more growth and the investment is more reasonable. or check ebay for used equipement.

For plastic pushbutton & light labels, I usually farm it out to a local engraving shop. I don't do machine upgrades often enough in this plant to warrant buying the equipment. They end up being about $3 each & I get them in about 1 week.

Yeh a local signmaker is the best shot....i reckon the the larger board builder would be doing that also....

Being that my Company is Scrooge like, I have used Avery Mailing/Address labels to improve my Panel Labeling. They have free software that runs with Word. Hey what can I say, my company is cheap and this is an improvement on a sharpie marker.

Oh the horror. Why not find out the manufacturer of your pushbuttons and give your local rep. a call? He can specify the right label to go with your style of pushbuttons and even custom engrave whatever you wish.

I agree, pushbutton markers we use the generic, stop/start/e.stop that manufacturers provide. I use the labels for naming timers/temp controllers to make things easier for the operator. Unfortunately I do not control the purse strings

I purchased the Brady IDXPERT last year and couldn't be happier. As for the sharpie marker, I'd be lying if I said nothing in my plant was labeled that way .

I have the front door silkscreened. It costs me about $150 for a medium sized panel, but I can do a lot with the graphics (outline grouped controls, for example). It ends up being way cooler than engraving / labels / sharpie.

Does anyone one use reverse engraved labels? I like them because you can just wipe them off since the face is smooth. You don't have to dig the buildup out of the letters like on traditional engrave labels.

This is the popular way in Taiwan. They actually have a piece of plastic the size of the front door reverse engraved. I always thought it looked cool, but they have many shops available to do this kind of work on the cheap. I used to work at a place that would laminate the panel. They printed (plotted) the entire front panel and hot rolled it onto the door. The adantage of this and silkscreenin' is that you can also print the centers of the holes. Makes locatin' the holes way easier. The same is true of the whole-door plastic panel. What I've never seen anyone else do is use a deep throat punch to make the door holes. I have this: http://roperwhitney.com/images/No134.jpg Way easier than the greenlee stuff. I also have this for smaller panels: http://roperwhitney.com/images/m14-1.jpg Edited by larry818

Larry, would you by chance have any pics of the silkscreened panels? thanks, Bob

Looks like a normal Piranha to me. Where did you find the punch and die? I don't work in a panel shop anymore but it is a great idea. That way you don't have to have a machine just for punching holes.

I haven't made a panel in years that had more than a power switch, light, and touchscreen on the door.

In the past I have used illuminated pushbuttons (with and without lamps). I then print laminated labels using a Brother P-Touch on laminate with clear background. The labels are cut to fit inside the pushbutton. I can generally create a symbol or get enough words in to convey use of button and it looks cool when illuminated. Edited by Snerkel

What I really want is an inkjet printer that can print directly on the panel door, with fairly hig res (300dpi). It seems I could convert a banner printer to do this, provided the door is flat enough.