markn

MELSEC F2-20M

4 posts in this topic

Hello Folks, Can anyone tell me how to replace the battery in this unit? Also is there anyway to download the logic from it so that we may make some changes?

That's a seriously old PLC, and you want to be really careful!! The old F and F2 series went out of production in the late 80's and were replaced by the FX range which had much more power and memory. Changing the battery is easy enough, and a capacitor normally holds the programme in place for a while, but I really wouldn't risk it without having a backup of the programme. To programme the PLC requires a special interface that Mitsubishi no longer make. It may be, however, that the F2 has an EEprom fitted that will hold the programme ad infinitum, in which case, don't worry about the battery. However, it's not possible to programme those EEproms from a laptop, instead, the RAM memory is programmed, then you use one of the old, obsolete, Mitsubishi graphic programmers to suck the programme out of RAM and blow it onto the EEprom. Makes me shudder to think about it ......

The adapter to give you a serial port on the F2 is the F2-20GF1. It's obsolete, hard to find. Some Mitsubishi offices have them available to rent. You could also potentially get a handheld programmer, but that programmer would be instruction list and you'd have to write it all down, no PC and printing. To actually program if you can get your hands on the adapter and cables you would need the old DOS MEDOC software. Perhaps your local Mitsubishi office or rep can come and do it for a fee.

I know this is a really old post but came across it while researching the same units.  I ended up finding a US based company that was able to do all of the RAM and EEprom programming. I also needed the battery replaced and they were able to come to our facility and replace the battery in the unit and also make a backup copy of the RAM on my unit then provide me with a EEprom in case i ever lost my program. If you still are needing help with these units contact Artisan Technology Group.  www.artisantg.com